Options

Preparing to start looking for an IT entry level job, need advice/help

LoghouseLoghouse Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm 21 years old and going to be getting my associates in applied science from a community college next year. My goal is to find an entry level job in IT but I'm a bit lost on what I should be doing right now. I'm looking at certificates but I'm not sure which ones I should focus on getting and how hard / long does it take to obtain? I also don't have any work experience that is related to IT at all, I currently have been working as a carpet cleaner for a few years. Not sure if it matters but I live in Chicago. Any advice or help on what I should be doing right now to prepare myself for a future job would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    OrcristOrcrist Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently got an entry level helpdesk job without much experience so I feel like I know where you're coming from.

The first thing you want to do is figure out what you want to get into specifically. Is it server stuff, networking...that kind of thing. This'll help when deciding what certs to pursue. Nothing needs to be set in stone but having some direction is always a good thing. In my case, I want to get into networking so I got a CCNA which I think helped me in landing the job.

At this point, employers aren't interested in pure technical skill since you're going for an entry level position and most skills will be learned on the job anyway. Work on your interviewing skills, polish up your resume and see if you can find some decent recruiters in your city. You probably will have to start out as a contractor before getting hired full time anywhere.

Certification-wise, I'd start with the A+ to get a taste of what studying certs is like and because it also looks good on a resume.

I hope this was helpful.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Very good advice from Orcrist. The only thing I would add is try to see if your school has any employment assistance through internships or placement etc. Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I lot of people recommend A+ first as a lot of entry level positions require it.

All I would add to that is start looking for IT work as soon as you can. Any help desk position will give you some knowledge and get some experience on your resume. It's a numbers game right now the more places you apply the better your odds of finding something. Don't get discouraged just finish your schooling and find something entry level. Expand from there and try not to get comfortable in a low level position. Look to learn and advance.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Thanks, it was very helpful. Now I have a few more questions, first being my resume. I don't even know what to put on it. I've looked up general IT resumes and I feel like I don't have half the things they put down. Next thing is what do you mean by recruiters? And finally how hard is it to get the A+ cert? Will it also take long or is it just a test I need to take and pass? Thanks again.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Recruiters (some people refer to them as head hunters) are contracted by companies to help them fill positions. They will give your resume to the company, set you up with interviews etc. They get paid by the company for finding a candidate. Some recruiting firms also have you work for the company via contract through them. So technically you are an employee of the recruiting agency working on site at the client.

How hard the A+ is depend son what you already know. Check out the Exam Objectives and see where you stand.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ousebgousebg Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    All the best LogHouse! The job hunting endeavor never ends as long as you can dream. You are not alone, and many of us had settled for what we could get regardless what we felt we deserved as per our certifications. So in the end, having a job and growing in that company is as lucky as anyone can get ;)
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks again guys for the help, I feel as if I have a better understanding of what I need to do.