Options

Time to switch WGU student mentor?

oldredoldred Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I started my first semester in April of this year. I have now finished 2 of my classes and am about to schedule my exam to complete the third. I give you this background information so that you know I am a good student and not slacking off with my classes.

Over the month and a half that I have been taking classes at WGU my mentor has proven to be incompetent. She has called me multiple times at the wrong scheduled time and I have had to remind her that it was not our scheduled time. When this happened today, I just went with it only to have her call back at the appropriate time with no recollection that we had already completed the call an hour before.

Before they took out the Java classes I was scheduled to take them. I asked in a weekly call if it would effect me and she had no idea that they were talking about changing the degree requirements for I.T. She said she would look into it and I never heard anything else about it until they implemented it for the whole school. One day I looked and my plan was just different.

My question is, should I go through the hassle of trying to get a new one or should I just stick it out? My buddy is also in the I.T. prograam at WGU and started the same time as I did. His mentor is amazing and I am worried that I am missing out on a great resource.

Comments

• Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    I started in April too. Got a pretty decent mentor. Calls at the right time, very positive, and gives me ok for the vouchers as soon as I ask.
  • Options
    BosskBossk Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The way I look at it, if you aren't happy with what you're paying for, speak up. It's hard to succeed without support. My mentor has been pretty spectacular. Two separate times I've emailed about something and heard back within minutes. A little over half way through my first term and I couldn't be happier.
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My mentor is great. If you are unsatisfied, I would look for change.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Not all mentors are the same and I wouldn't hesitate to request a new mentor if you are unhappy. The first mentor I had (undergrad) was phenomenal. My graduate mentor was less than acceptable and caused more confusion than it was worth. I contacted the department and requested a new mentor, which they granted pretty quickly.

Remember that you are not only paying for your education, but you are also paying for a qualified mentor who is your liaison through the process. You deserve a satisfactory experience as thousands of others have had before you. In the end its your money and I would speak up and request to be placed with a mentor who can meet your needs.

Good luck, and I look forward to your future post stating that you have graduated with your degree!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I started in April as well, I have no complaints. If you are unhappy I would ask for a new mentor.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ditto... ask for a new mentor.

My mentor has been great. I've had her since February. Granted, she doesn't always call me at our regularly scheduled time, but she makes sure that she lets me know in advance so I can be worked in at another time that is good for us both. No reason why you don't have a mentor that works with you.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Switch mentors! Most mentors are amazing, but some bad ones get hired as well...

I didn't like my mentor at first because I am not one to "have my hand held" and he couldn't help me with a few issues I had when I first started, so I just basically didn't use him for anything. I took an unofficial break this term and just cut off contact for about a month (personal issues). Long story short, my mentor actually showed up at my home one day just to check in on me to see if I was okay! I have a ton of respect for this guy now!

If your mentor is incompetent and doesn't even remember talking to you an hour earlier...switch asap! Good luck!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kinda sounds like my mentor. I just don't let it get to me, as Im doing a decent job thur the courses on my own. But it is annoying talking to her about something one day and she goes over it again the next time we speak.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It sounds similar to a situation I dealt with last year. I switched mentors halfway through the degree and couldn't be happier with my new mentor.
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I know I'm necro-ing an old post here, but thank you for posting your thoughts. It saved me from writing my own. I don't like my mentor as a mentor. She is a nice enough person, but as my student mentor I feel she is pretty useless. She told me she wanted me to talk to the course mentor before approving my exam, which annoyed me, but whatever. The last straw was when she sent me the link to the wrong class.

This doesn't count the fact that I'd like to take multiple course certification exams on the same day. I have to drive 60 miles out of my way to take them and doing at least 2 at a time makes a lot more sense than one. I've told her this every phone call and she says she makes note of it, but never seems to remember.

Sorry for the rant, I hope my next mentor is much better than this one.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    lauralew74lauralew74 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have just applied for admission to WGU. I have talked to my mentor 4th times.... Each time it sounds as if she is eating Doritos and watching Ellen...😡
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^^^ LOL!

I think the real test of a student mentor is if they are capable of getting things done effectively and in a timely manner. For example, if you have questions about processes that only a WGU employee can research... Is your student mentor capable and willing to take ownership of the issue, make the necessary phone calls, do the necessary research, and get back to you in a timely manner? (without having to hound them and remind them over and over again).

Luckily, my BS and MS degree student mentors have been great. The course mentors are hit and miss, unfortunately.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)