Options

Windows Server Backup and corrupted backup catalog

sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
Hello everyone,

I'm getting extremely frustrated with this utterly useless piece of crap called Windows Server Backup.

I did a backup of a Domain Controller running Windows Server 2008 SP2. The backup was saved on the network to \\nas\backup\WindowsImageBackup\DC. The folder contains a bunch of XML and VHD files. I can actually mount those VHD to browse them.
The problem is that I cannot restore from the backup! I tried it on the original physical server as well as on different VMs.
After specifying the remote server, I can choose which server to recover. There are about 20 servers in that list and of those 20 only 5 are recoverable. The others just fail with the message "The system global catalog is corrupted".

Ok, fine, time to try wbadmin.
After typing wbadmin get versions -backupTarget:\\nas\backup I get the same list of the backed up servers.
After typing wbadmin get versions -backupTarget:\\nas\backup -machine:DC I get the same error message - "An operation on the global catalog failed because the catalog is corrupted". Again, I can recover 5 other servers but I don't need them.

Fine, there is a command that is supposed to recover the catalog.
wbadmin restore catalog -backupTarget:\\nas\backup -machine:DC. Same message - "An operation on the global catalog failed because the catalog is corrupted". Duh, I know...

Is there a way to fix the catalog?