Options

A+ 220-801 and 220-802 test format

hammncheesehammncheese Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, just a few questions. Are these 2 sections separate tests? If so, can you take them on different dates and is there a time frame on how close you have to take them? Just curious since I am more than ready to take the 801 but still need some time for the 802. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They are separate exams. You need to pass both to get A+ certified. You don't have to wait in between both exams. If you feel that you are ready, you can take them on the same day. I know of two students in my class that did that. I intend to take them around a week apart... I'm still trying to get the RAM chapter down reliably for the 801. I do wish they had an option for a "composite" exam like the CCNA.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    UltimasUltimas Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Doyen - Definitely agree on the composite exam suggestion. I just passed the 802 and I really feel like all of the information from both exams could have big one larger/better test. Oh, and just wondering Doyen, but how come you finished your CCNA before A+? You'll probably wipe the floor with the CompTIA exams.
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ultimas wrote: »
    Oh, and just wondering Doyen, but how come you finished your CCNA before A+? You'll probably wipe the floor with the CompTIA exams.
    After I took my routing and switching class in college, it was an ambition of mine to earn the certification. While other in my class went the Comptia route, I spent a little over year studying for the CCNA: R&S. That ambition was a mixed blessing to me. Classmates that got their combinations of A+, Network+, and Security+ found some great internships or help desk jobs. I, on the other hand, spent 7 months studying only to fail, study my weak areas for a week, and fail even worse again. It isn't viewed as much progress with classmates and saw what I was doing was a "waste of time". I spent another 7 months studying and building my own lab that ultimately helped me pass almost a month ago.

So mainly, I guess I am playing "catch up" and then hoping some opportunities open up for me like it did for them months earlier. I am not down playing my CCNA, but the only experience I have with it is lab based scenarios. I don't think it will show a prospective employer much compared to my classmates unless I compliment it with more certifications. I took courses for the Comptia "trinity", SSCP, EMC, and VCP. So if it is something I know and did well in, why not review it and earn a certification in it? Even though a few instructors said that a few Comptia certs are "beneath me", I feel it will show employers what I know and that I like to learn. I just really do not want to appear as a monotonous applicant. Then again, I don't know... maybe its actually envy or maybe my mind lost packets somewhere in the 3 way handshake.

I intend to review the material for about 1-2 weeks between each certification and then take the exam. I plan to go A+ to Network+ to Security+ to CCNA Security. Maybe between or after those, I will go for Linux+, VCP, & SSCP. Probably some veterans and experts on this forum most likely think I'm wasting my time going for more entry level certs, but I'm doing that because I haven't even reached entry level yet.

I don't know that explanation made any sense or if that was what you were asking?

EDIT:
    I found it interesting that some classmates are studying for their CCNA now that some else achieved it. Its a odd attitude before of "if you cannot get CCNA, then I wouldn't be able to get it" to "he can get his CCNA so that means it possible for me to get it too".
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.