Options

Really weird remote access issue with nested lab ESXi host

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
So in my nested lab in Workstation 10, I've set all the hosts to use NAT in the virtual network editor to NAT to my host machine network, which has worked completely fine. I've set up the DC to perform DNS, and I'm able to hit google.com from my vCenter server in the nested environment, and am able to ping my hosts from my host PC.

However, when trying to edit the management network settings directly on the ESXi host by pressing F2 after it finishes booting, it will not take the command when working with it from team viewer. I loaded a page on my DC and hit F5 to test if it was getting the key input, and it did refresh the page so the function key is being sent, but for some reason the ESXi host will not accept any function key but does respond if I hit enter (goes from shaded window to lit up indicating it got the key input).icon_confused.gif??:

It also actually dropped my wireless router earlier to the point I had to unplug it for 10 minutes to get it back online when trying to send the F2 command to the ESXi host, and that behavior stopped after I disabled the Microsoft Loopback adapter I have bridging my GNS3 environment to my host network, and nothing else seems to be causing this weirdness except the ESXi host.

Tonight is the first time I've tried to access the ESXi directly within team viewer, otherwise everything has mingled perfectly, running GNS3 / Nested Lab concurrently through team viewer and working with both while at a remote location. The ESXi host responds normally to key strokes on the host machine, and I have no connecting to either ESXi hosts using vSphere client.

I cannot figure this out and it's driving me up the wall, any ideas on what could possibly be causing this, or where to even start troubleshooting such an issue?

Comments

• Options
    So it turned out just to be odd remote access behavior, as I found holding the fn key before hitting the function key itself sent the keystroke, however F5 worked to refresh web pages in the same nested environment without the fn key... so I don't know.

Still have to figure out what is causing the router to drop, I actually did this at my work when I bridged a Call Manager server in Workstation 10, it immediately dropped the switchport I was connected to - it was also doing this to my home wireless router as well. It was using the 'bridging' feature with the Loopback adapter and the physical host NIC, and now the Sharing option seems to be doing the same thing now after working for so long, I am pretty confident the Loopback Adapter is the suspect.

So much troubleshooting to do, so little time!
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is it causing BPDU packets which causes the router to drop the interface maybe ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    That is an interesting theory, as I'm not longer using the bridging adapter to bridge the connections, but using the 'Shared' tab in the adapter properties to allow another network to connect the internet via that adapter. So I guess I am not sure if the PC would be generating BPDU's, I think this may be a case for wireshark!