Options

Organizing Studies

mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
Hi all,

I've been studying for some time toward CISSP, i don't know if i'm the only one having such issues but honestly i cant really understand why one of the only book resource i'm having that actually list the 10 CBK Domains according to their place and numbers correctly is Eric Conrad's.

Almost every others of my references/books are having some pretty weird/illogical sequencing at listing domains/chapters so to say.. I mean for example, Domain 2: Telecommunications... is chapter 6 in Shon Harris' 6th edition.. Domain 4: Software Dev Sec is chapter 10 on 11. I'm not complaining but honestly there's already a lot to diggest and when you're taking notes for a particular domain and find yourself crawling at the end of one book i personally would assume something went wrong and i shall start over because domain 4 shall not be at the end logically hehe...

Ahh well, that was indeed to note that personaly Eric Conrad book; CISSP Study Guide 2Edition is my buddy because its really logically build and follow the domains in sequence which help me keep things under focus.

Hope you're all well and ready to spend a good week-end !icon_study.gif

Soon,
m.

Comments

• Options
    TheProfezzorTheProfezzor Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All authors have a particular set of skills and a strong domain, if you ask me. They tend to teach differently. But, sequence of domains matters least, if the author is able to reference information to and from different domains, throughout the chapters. If you read the "CISSP for Dummies", you will find that it's sequencing is quite extraordinary.
    OSCP: Loading . . .
  • Options
    mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    All authors have a particular set of skills and a strong domain, if you ask me. They tend to teach differently. But, sequence of domains matters least, if the author is able to reference information to and from different domains, throughout the chapters. If you read the "CISSP for Dummies", you will find that it's sequencing is quite extraordinary.

After reading you, I thought about that again and thought that actually it could be more "efficient" and probably less "redundant" NOT to study each domains sequentially. Maybe jumping around help students digestion. Though i can't help but follow from 1 to 10 passing by 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9...:D
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I studied the domains starting with my strongest ones such as Telecomm, BCP/DR, and Op Sec. I did it this way to build momentum and not lose interest. I left my weaker ones such as Crypto and Dev Sec for last so I could dedicate more time. I absolutely loved this method.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I left my weaker ones such as Crypto and Dev Sec for last so I could dedicate more time.
    This also means you are studying your weaker areas closer to your exam time. That seems to be a smart thing to do as well.
  • Options
    cisspercissper Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I followed this sequence: 1 and 2 are technical and can go hand in hand. 3 (second half with access models), 4, 5, 6 have good flow of concepts. From operations security (6) to BCP / DRP (7) you have good flow of some concepts. 8 is a loner and sits by itself. 9 and 10 have some links.

1) Telecommunications and Network Security
    2) Cryptography
    3) Security Architecture and Design
    4) Access Control
    5) Physical (Environmental) Security
    6) Operations Security
    7) Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Planning
    8 ) Software Development Security
    9) Information Security Governance and Risk Management
    10) Legal, Regulations, Investigations and Compliance

But not all might like the same flow. Some might want to tackle tough domains in the end and some in the beginning.

Good luck with your prep.