Options

Why do people here give so much value to MBAs?

A lot of people here talk about obtaining an MBA as opposed to a more technical degree such as MSIT or MSCS. I personally don't think MBAs are valuable. They don't give you the technical skills that IT and CS degrees give. I have been reading lately that MBA holders are a dime in a dozen and many are unemployed right now. It's IT certifications that will get me a job in the first place. I'm not under the impression that they will lead to a management position. Can some of the posters here inform me why MBAs are actually valuable?

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It's really not fair to compare the two. MBAs are more geared towards management roles and not necessarily IT management. An MBA from a top management school will usually open a lot of doors right into management while certifications will not. Certifications are usually geared towards technical roles (with the exception of the management ones - which usually don't hold as much weight as MBAs) and while they may help you get a good technical job.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    To me, a MBA is just another Masters degree. Is it useful, yes if applied in the right setting, just like a Masters in Technology Management is useful in the right setting.

However saying that I live in the UK so my view may be a different from other on here.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not under the impression that they will lead to a management position.=

I believe that is exactly why most people get MBAs.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agree with NinjaBoy. If you use it right it can be useful. If you get an MBA and expect it to help you get a job as an engineer you're probably going to be a bit disappointed.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    People with an undergrad degree in a technical area NEED business knowledge to move into management. The focus is less technical and you start managing budgets for example. MS degrees are good if you don't have a technical undergrad or if you really want to focus on a technical area.
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    That's how I did it. Got a B.S degree focusing on the technical aspect followed by a MS in Management Information Systems. Might go back for an MBA in finance in 5yrs
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My MBA helped me land my job and they are considering moving me up into a senior PM role from a BA after my one year.

I think they are overrated but not without value.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Those who do have MBA's what school(s) did you get them from?
  • Options
    tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do have a cautionary tale. This didn't happen to me but it happened to a friend of mine. He graduated from a fairly good engineering school in 2006. From there, he went straight for his MBA at the local state university in our hometown and graduated in the summer of 2008. We all know what happened in the that fall, but it seriously take him until the spring of 2012 to fill a professional gig. He may have been too picky but it also may serve as a example of someone being better served by getting some work experience and then go back to school for a MBA.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In the case of your friend he was probably very marketable to get a good job as soon as he finished his engineering degree. I look at the MBA as something you get later, to help move up into management, not to get your first job. So your friend went from very marketable, then put himself in a position where he likely expected to go straight into management without any experience, in the worst economic downturn most of us have ever seen. I think it was probably bad timing in a couple ways vs. a tale of MBAs being worthless.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They are versatile. It can help show that while you have a technical background you still understand the needs of the company.

Keep in mind the degree will stay with you for a lifetime. Many certifications will loose relevance over time.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tjb122982 wrote: »
    I do have a cautionary tale. This didn't happen to me but it happened to a friend of mine. He graduated from a fairly good engineering school in 2006. From there, he went straight for his MBA at the local state university in our hometown and graduated in the summer of 2008. We all know what happened in the that fall, but it seriously take him until the spring of 2012 to fill a professional gig. He may have been too picky but it also may serve as a example of someone being better served by getting some work experience and then go back to school for a MBA.

that is what pplz don't understand. You don't need to go to B-school right away after undergrad. Get at least 2 years experience, before you even give thought of applying & going to B-school...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A lot of people here talk about obtaining an MBA as opposed to a more technical degree such as MSIT or MSCS. I personally don't think MBAs are valuable. They don't give you the technical skills that IT and CS degrees give. I have been reading lately that MBA holders are a dime in a dozen and many are unemployed right now. It's IT certifications that will get me a job in the first place. I'm not under the impression that they will lead to a management position. Can some of the posters here inform me why MBAs are actually valuable?
    Studies show that on average, a graduate degree will increase your lifetime earnings by $500,000. That's why they are valuable.

Having both technical skills, and management skills... and really business skills too, that is what will bump your earnings.