Options

1811 Switch/Router require a trunk port?

jschreckjschreck Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Afternoon,
A quick question, I believe the answer is no but I want to make sure. I have a 1811 which is both two FE interfaces for routing and then 8 interfaces for switching. I am going through the book and CBT nuggets, and they always put that the devices are two separate items, you can make a Trunk or router on the stick configuration. If it is all in one do i have to have a trunk line? I think since its a all in one it should have a hardwired connection. I just do not know.

John

http://media.cablesandkits.com/ipn/CISCO1811K9b.jpg

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No there is no need to build a trunk port. It is all integrated.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    For some routers that have several HWIC's, you sometimes have to do trunks between them to share L2 information. I have found that in these routers, the first HWIC plugged in will be used and will not share VLAN information to the additional HWIC's plugged afterwards.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yep, for some high speed switching modules that is the case, but this is an integrated switch module not a plug and play HWIC.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    What timing to find this thread. I recently (yesterday) picked up one of these. My cable ISP speeds aren't that fast (under 30Mbps), but comparing this against a soho dd-wrt running router I didn't see a drop in download speed. Downloaded MS service pack of a few gigs and it maintained a 3.1MB/sec download speed, cpu usage was 15-16% at it's peak. Currently it's running just a nat/pat/firewall and nothing else.

Update - I've been running 1811 as my home/edge router/switch. Running 2 dhcp pools (wired/wireless), PAT, ACL, ntp, ssl

So far so good, no issues. I would like to add vpn to it next :) Nice little router for sure!

EDGE#sh processes
    CPU utilization for five seconds: 1%/0%; one minute: 3%; five minutes: 13%
    PID QTy PC Runtime (ms) Invoked uSecs Stacks TTY Process
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Your ports on the 1811 are integrated. Two of them will be routed. The others are switch ports. The switch ports will not allow routed commands to be run on them.

Theres no other configuration needed. Its not like setting up a service module.

I recommend making a VLAN interface, and assigning your switch ports to that SVI. Your SVI can have all of your L3 stuff configured on it.

This is exactly how I do it for 1811's and 1841's with HWIC-4ESW's in them.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Corndork2 - I understand the switchports are L2 only. But I am not too familiar with SVI... did I end up doing just that if you take a look here -

techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/100550-keep-wired-wireless-vlans-separate-yet-both-have-internet-connectivity.html
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.