Options

Helpdesk Tier 1 questions

michael4422michael4422 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Please tell me if I'm too much of a faker to handle a Tier 1 Helpdesk job.

Though I have A+, N+, and could figure things out if could get my hands on the computer, I'm pretty clueless, as I've been using a mac for too long. Password reset? I guess I need to get my hands on a PC and learn that procedure. VPN configuration, never done it, re imaging, never done it. I'm am that green.

So, how do I manage this? Get a PC, windows 7, and work with it until I don't feel totally inadequate, or just apply and hope I can figure it our, rely on scripts?

Will I be in over my head or learn on the job? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You will learn on the job. Just don't overstate where your skills are at during interviews and be enthusiastic about learning. Everyone on here that knows how to do something had to learn that, too.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A lot of Tier 1 is simply following directions and being able to clearly communicate with end users. Just about every helpdesk manager will expect to have to train up new hires, just be honest.

Password resets are as simple as clicking a few buttons. Re-imaging is beyond helpdesk. Configuring VPN is also simply following the prompts in Windows and putting the right info in the right fields, hard to mess up.

You could run Win7 in a VM (you can do that on a Mac right? Not being sarcastic, I have never used a Mac) to get used to the layout, where things are and what they are called. Id pick up a used copy of a Win 7 cert guide, skim and move through the OS with the chapters just to get your bearings.
  • Options
    michael4422michael4422 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! I can do all that. I have Windows 7 I can run on my Mac. Cheers!