Options

vCenter Storage device / Networking question

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
Hi,

Have a NAS on a customer network that is not pingable from devices on the same subnet as it, except for the vCenter server that it resides on. From the DC when I try to ping I am getting "Destination Host Unreachable", which indicates that the ARP request is not being returned to the DC.

On the switch I did find that both MAC's for the DC and the NAS are bound to interfaces that are part of different port-channel's, which are both trunking, and no other devices are having issues with pinging except the NAS.

I tried bringing up network info in vSphere client but I am not getting a 'configuration' tab when I highlight the storage device, and actually seem to get next to no useful info in terms of networking.

Any ideas how I might approach the issue?

EDIT:

It appears it might be a switch issue, as the switch is not responding to ARP requests for said host, as the DC has no entry for the NAS IP in it's ARP cache.

Comments

• Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    As stated I think I have it narrowed down to an issue on the physical switch in the network. I grabbed a ticket I saw had to do with a VMware NAS issue, and wanted to check out how the networking was set up, but noticed it was lacking the configuration tab to view the networking. I came home and hit the lab after work, and realized that the config tab for network configuration only shows on ESXi hosts (I believe), and I'm guessing the later chapters will elaborate on how storage networking is configured.