Company expanding to a second building- networking question-

IlovenetworkingIlovenetworking Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
How about if i put it this way. I have an office (main) and since the company expanded, I had to lease another building in a close approxmity. Whats the best way to have internet connection in the building without having too spend too much money on the infrastructure, and use our current infrastructure in the main office to facilitate connectivity to the new building.

Comments

• emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Book solution: Probably a VPN of some sort but the bandwidth may be low if it's relying on the ISP.

Real world solution: Point-to-Point microwave GigE links
  • IlovenetworkingIlovenetworking Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick reply! But the requirement for the above scenario should revolve around the following topics.
    • Describe and implement VLANs on a computing network.
    • Describe organizational VPN security considerations in an internetworking environment.
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick reply! But the requirement for the above scenario should revolve around the following topics.
    • Describe and implement VLANs on a computing network.
    • Describe organizational VPN security considerations in an internetworking environment.

How in depth is your knowledge of networks in general?
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Before I get in Depth, when you say resources, do you mean access to certain things or less bandwidth availability? Secondly, assuming there's a switch coming off of that router, does it have fiber ports available and what's the speed, 1g or 10g? Is it single or multimode? Someone will need to run fiber optic from one building to the other. make sure you have multiple pairs for redundancy as well. Once that's in place, you gotta figure out what fiber types you need. St-st? st-sc? Sc-sc? Lc-sc? St-mtrj?

After that, if you want less bandwidth allocated to that building, your best bet for limiting resources is create different VLANs for each building and creating a VLAN based QoS policy
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
    My knoweldge in networking is not vast as this is my first time being exposed to networking.
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Start with the basics first
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
    Resources meaning files, folders in the company. So in this case we want to prevent or limit Building 1 to have an access to Building 2 resources, and have Building 2 have full access to resources that exist in Building 1 (main office). You suggested the creation of different VLANs for each building, thats what i thought as well, so probably i am going to go with this notion.
    As far as further info such as whether or not switch coming off that router, or the speed of port, I am afraid, i cant provide that informaton as the scenario above is just a hypothetical situation without any tangible devices to look at it.
    Are you suggesting that the infrastructure in building 2 should be mapped out first before moving onto the implementation of VLANs for the sole purpose of preventing one building from accessing to resource in the other building?
    scenario moved up!