Options

Types of Bridging

mason1973mason1973 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've seen several notes about the types of bridging on this site but only a footnote in one of my books...Here's what I think I know :)

Types of Bridging
Transparent - used when layer 2 translation is not needed
Translational - used to translate between layer 2 protocols
Source-route - used in frame-relay

Is this right? Are there additional types?

thanks.

Comments

• Options
    sikdoggsikdogg Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mason1973 wrote:
    Types of Bridging
    Transparent - used when layer 2 translation is not needed
    Translational - used to translate between layer 2 protocols
    Source-route - used in frame-relay

Is this right? Are there additional types?
    There are plenty of other types and since you asked, here they are:

Source-route bridging (SRB) - is used in Token-ring. There's also:
    source-route transparent bridging (SRT) - used in token-ring and car either use SRB or transparent bridging
    soure-route translational bridging (SR/TLD) - bridges between token-ring and Ethernet
    remote source-route bridging (RSRB) - allows bridging of token-ring packets across the WAN
    data link switching (DLSw) and DLSw+ - used for transporting SNA and other non-routable packets across a LAN/WAN
    encapsulation bridging - allows bridging between FDDI and Ethernet
    concurrent routing and bridging (CRB) - allows you to bridge one protocol and route another
    integrated routing and bridging (IRB) - allows you to route and/or bridge the same protocol

You used to have to learn all these bridging types for CCIE, but not anymore as Token-ring has been removed from the CCIE exam. Transparent bridging is probably all you need to know for the CCNA, but I could be wrong. Make sure you check Cisco site for the CCNA exam objectives to be sure.