Options

Where are the CCNP Wireless-level jobs?

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
I live in a large metro area (2+ million people), so when I do a Monster/Dice/Careerbuilder job search, I think I can see where the job market demand is. Yet when I input "wireless" into the keyword field, I get only three or four results, and none for "we need a wireless person" position. Neither is anyone asking for a CCNP:W specifically. Either there are precious few jobs for this cert, or no one needs the level of knowledge that an NP:W would bring (which I find hard to believe). After all, someone who just dabbles in wireless isn't going to cut it for a large wireless network.

I've heard a valid point made by someone that a large wireless network can be handled by just one wireless guy, which implies that the demand isn't that great. But can't the same be said for a large voice or security network? Just asking. I know there will be fewer positions for wireless than an NP:R/S, just as there will be fewer for an NP:S and NP:V. And perhaps making a determination about job demand solely by plugging a keyword(s) into Dice isn't necessarily the most accurate way to determine wireless demand in one's area. Just trying to determine if an NP:W is worth going after. If after getting the cert, I wouldn't want to hear crickets chirping when searching for a wireless job. Is wireless really such a minor part of a company's infrastructure that it's hardly mentioned in job descriptions when they go looking for a new engineer? Do those of you who currently work with wireless see this as true?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The way I see it is wireless is an add on skill as it's really an extension of the LAN. You'd be much better off focusing on R&S to get into that door.

The exception being a VAR or partner of some sort where you can concentrate of providing wireless solutions. Even then you are probably going to be working with other technologies as well.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You may be right. If wireless is an add-on skill, though, I don't really see a need for a CCIE:W (or an NP:W, really). Unless you work for Cisco.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with you there. I liked the CCNP certification much better when it included wireless, security, MPLS, etc.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.