Options

Any tips for last minute A+ cramming?

Toxic DoverToxic Dover Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone! It's my first post on here, but I've been lurking around for a few weeks and you guys seem to be a wealth of information :)

Anyway, I've got to get A+ certified to start a new job... I take 801 on Wednesday the 4th, and then 802 on the following Tuesday, the 10th. I've built quite a few computers over the years, I'm the official troubleshooting guy for my friends and family, and am almost done with a bachelor's in IT. I've been using Mike Meyers' All-in-One book as well as David Prowse's A+ Exam Cram book and practice tests... I can consistently get scores in the high 800's on the practice exams, so I think I should be okay, but I'm curious to hear from those who have taken the exam... Is it similar to the practice exams floating around? I've heard mixed things about it being more on the practical side of things, and then I've also heard it's a huge memorization exam with no real emphasis on practicality... Any last minute cram advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. I really need to pass both exams so I can begin this job. Thanks everyone!

-Ben

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Welcome and good luck!

Meyer's text is by far the best tool to use to prepare. I am not a fan of over using practice exams. They are good tools to assess initial skills and follow-up to see if one understands the material after much study. I do not believe they should be used for repetitive practice.

As far as specifics, no one can speak about that per se, however, CompTIA provides examples on its website and with that knowledge and a copy of the objectives, you should be just fine.
    Good luck
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    Print off the objectives and read them multiple times especially the day of the exam. I can say that personally because I remembered seeing something on the objectives I was able guide myself to the correct answer for multiple questions.
  • Options
    Toxic DoverToxic Dover Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed!

Overall, the exam wasn't that bad, although I will say that I wasn't as prepared as I thought I was... Some of the questions on there kind of caught me off guard. But hey, it's a pass! Now time to cram for 802 on Tuesday :)

-Ben
  • Options
    michaelleavermichaelleaver Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can I recommend this site Test-Your-IT-Knowledge - Homeit has a number of general IT questions which seem to follow roughly the comptia A+ syllabus. The questions seem more up to date than other free questions such as Pro Profs
  • Options
    ewright27ewright27 Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! In my opinion, 802 was more difficult, with more simulation than memorization.

Meyers' book was actually much more than I needed to pass, but that wasn't a bad thing since I learned the material.