Options

First VMware certification

LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
I'm finishing up my MCSA 2008 in June. Once that is complete I've decided i'm going to start working on vmware certifications. I'm currently a system administrator at my job where my primary roles are vmware, storage and system administration (troubleshooting stuff).

I'm completely ignorant of how the vmware certification process works. I'm very familiar with Microsofts - but vmware seems a bit different.

The second week in July i'm going to take the ICM class for 5.5. Once I take that course I'm eligible to take the VCP exam correct? Are there individual exams for each course or just a set of courses that once taken, if you pass the VCP exam you are certified?

My plan is to take the ICM course then within that same month take the VCP5-DCV. Is that realisitic? I've been working with Vmware for about a year how - within our setup i've configured HA, DRS, DVS and a few other more simplistic things like templates, DRS rules for our SQL cluster, etc.

Once i have my VCP5-DCV i had planned on working towards my VCAP. I don't think i would realistically be able to complete that until early next year. Another question there though - on the required training they have Optimize and Scale as one of the classes for the VCAP - yet i see that same course under VCP.

Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Once you have sat the ICM class you are indeed allowed to take the VCP exam. There is only one (well, two, if you count the VCP510) - the VCP550. The VCP510 is based on vSphere 5.0 (which you can still book) so make sure you sign up for the VCP550 exam. There aren't individual exams for the courses. There are multiple courses which are accepted as pre-requisite for the VCP, including the Optimize and Scale. But you only ever have to sit the ICM (since you do that anyway) and then sit the exam.

The Optimize and Scale is not a required training for the VCAP - it is a recommendation. The only requirement is the VCP.

So to sum things up

In order to pass the VCP and gain the certification you have to site EITHER the ICM OR Optimize and Scale course (The latter is more like for people who have long experience with vSphere already).
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Perfect - thank you for explaining that.

Going to take the VCP exam after my ICM class then (maybe schedule it a week or two out from the class). At that point if i can get my employer to pay - i'm going to take the optimize and scale class then my VCAP. I realize that's not an easy task so i don't plan on taking my VCAP until probably winter / early next year.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The ICM course won't be enough to pass the exam with a lot of experience / labbing / additional readings. The VCAP is a beast in its own right. It is a lab based exam so you will need a lot of practical knowledge under your belt in order to pass this one ..

Good luck though :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Much appreciated. I am the vmware admin at my current employer, so i'm literally using vmware 3ish hours a day. I realize not every day am i configuring the DVS or HA options - but i'm familiar with their options.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll still study my arse off for it like any other exam. I may push it out 4 weeks to get some solid lab and study time before taking the exam.

My boss is VCAP certified, he's already warned me that it's a beast of an exam.
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Make sure you download the blueprint for the exam - that and more on this page: (VCP5-DCV) VCP-Data Center Virtualization
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com