Options

Would this be allowed when i test?

StonedHitmanStonedHitman Member Posts: 120
So, I know they give you a board and a marker to take notes and I read another persons comment on here in another thread that you have to turn in that board with all your notes, but what I plan on doing when I take my test(before I actually start the test) is writing down the multiples of 4, 8, and 16 for subnetting up to 255. Would this be allowed?
Currently reading Network Warrior

Comments

• Options
    tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    Sure, I do that too! :) I usually write that down in the start of the exam, in which you state your experience etc.
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    I don't know if you can officially write anything down before the test starts, but every test site I've been to has been pretty laid back and I doubt if any of the proctors would notice or even care. If you want to save time on the test you should probably be practicing doing that in your head without the scratch paper/board.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you enter the test room, you WRITE DOWN ANYTHING YOU WANT on the board (check and make sure your dry erase marker is not dried out, too)

You can erase anything while doing the exam. I read here some people stating you can't erase anything on the board. That's ridiculous--After doing ½ dozen subnet questions, you have to erase something

Anything in your memory you can write on the board. You can write down NAT commands for example.

You can do :D:D:D:D:D for example!!

Good luck
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wrote down the CDIR notation 30 - 16 with subnet mask # of hosts and magic number in one table. Then the block sizes as your suggesting 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 in another table.

You can't do this till you get seated though, and you have to every once in awhile click on something on the computer screen while the introduction/exam procedures are being displayed before the test starts.

When I began studying I went to Target and got a small whiteboard and practiced writing that information out two or three times a day. This not only helped me lock in my subnetting, but also that I could get everything written out come test day without using the whole board they give you.

One thing though, it's almost impossible to write small and legible with a dry erase marker. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    roch_greg wrote: »
    One thing though, it's almost impossible to write small and legible with a dry erase marker. icon_rolleyes.gif

Over my 26 years in the Army, I had to do many tests to move forward and found out a long time ago, the little fine point sharpies work great on dry erase boards, it allows you to write legibly and still be able to erase when you need to, those fat dry erase pens are for the birds!

:D
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    So, I know they give you a board and a marker to take notes and I read another persons comment on here in another thread that you have to turn in that board with all your notes, but what I plan on doing when I take my test(before I actually start the test) is writing down the multiples of 4, 8, and 16 for subnetting up to 255. Would this be allowed?

Don't know until you try. I wrote things on a pad the first time I ever took an exam, are you supposed to? I don't think so but who cares, I wrote it all out anyway.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wrote out some numbers while I was taking the survey. I didn't read the fine print but there was no big warning saying don't start writing yet.

128 192 224 240 248 252 254 255
    128 64 32 16 8 4 2 0
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wrote out powers of two, block sizes, IP ranges, templates for ACL entries, OSI model, and used the board during the labs to take notes to make sure I was making the right configuration.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wrote out the subnet masks, slash notation, and block sizes for nearly everything when I sat down to take the test. The only thing I bothered to memorize was that /24 = 255.255.255.0 = 254 hosts. From there you can figure out all the others if you know your powers of 2.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Little tip - you get 15 minutes (I think) to go through a tutorial of how do answer the exam and accept the T's and C's. Well the tutorials are available online so just go read them :)

I remember using this time to write down my subnetting and things before I started.
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Little tip - you get 15 minutes (I think) to go through a tutorial of how do answer the exam and accept the T's and C's. Well the tutorials are available online so just go read them :)

I remember using this time to write down my subnetting and things before I started.

Is that what it's for? I just doodled for 15 minutes. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well obviously you are supposed to take the tutorial but it's 15 minutes that you have to quickly jot down any notes you want in my opinion.