Options

Emotional issues and I.T.

gatekeepergatekeeper Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Anybody having emotional issues? If so is it connected with with your work and what have you done about it. I try not to get personnel with people on my job I also try to stay focused on my work but for me this is easy said than done, I have met and worked with all types of people in the I.T. field over the years but sometimes I feel a lot of stress and I'm having trouble getting rid of it. Also going back to school for another cert.

Comments

• Options
    entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
    Usually, the only time I get stressed at my job is when I think of the problems I have outside of work.
    CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Usually my only stress comes when I think a client isn't happy or if I think they may not be happy.
  • Options
    determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    Stress,

What a screwed up thing. I hate stress.....Well when I have stress it is always good to come home to my wife and baby girl. I deal with stress in a lot of ways. Mostly with trying to get busy with hobbies. Whatever you like and whatever you have as hobby is always a good stress relief.

By the way, another good thing to relief stress, Play an online first person shooter. Yes you probably destroy some mice and keyboards but hey its worth it. There are so many ways to get rid off stress but I guess it just depends what floats your boat.
  • Options
    milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    If you have lots of stress sometimes physical (non computer related) activity can help. Hiking/bicycling/jogging/skiing/snowboarding etc. be creative.
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    I'm with GermanGiant, nothing like a few rounds of Unreal 2004 to relieve some stress. Of course the gym's a good bet, or a beer and a game of pool with a good buddy, or even just cranking up some blues on the stereo and veggin' out can make a huge difference.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    attinaattina Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's difficult not to take things personally, but the reality is that the people you are dealing with are probably upset over something else and not necessarily with you.

I work help desk and there are people who call mad all the time because they have work to do and they aren't getting online. I can't always help them right away and that makes them even angrier. What I do to deal with stress is roll it off my back. They are not angry with me. They are angry with themselves for not having a back up plan to do their work. They are angry with technology not functioning as it promised to. They are angry with their bosses who are going to get angry with them. They are angry with their IT dept. who has locked them so far out of their PC's that no one can help them when they are out of town. Etc Etc.

Next time you are stressed out...try to break it down. Are they really angry with you or is there a possibility they got in a fight with their spouse/kids that morning before work? Maybe they spilled their coffee on the way in that morning. Maybe their alarm didn't get to go off in time and they had to skip their shower which set their morning in a different direction. Think about the times that has happened to you. I am sure you were a little less nice to some people also.

I have a lot of problems outside of work too and my way of dealing with it is if I can't change the situation at this given moment in time, then I am going to put it aside. There is no point in getting worked up about something that I am in no position to fix or change anyway.

The reason this is mind over matter is because it is within the power of your mind to decide how hard you are going to let something bother you. The harder you let it bother you, the more stress you feel.

Don't bury it, just "release" it.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I'm lucky enough to be a pretty big guy... If a client begins to yell at me I just look at them. Usually the tone goes back to normal and we can continue. I'm pretty quiet and laid back so its fine.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
    attina wrote:
    It's difficult not to take things personally, but the reality is that the people you are dealing with are probably upset over something else and not necessarily with you.

I work help desk and there are people who call mad all the time because they have work to do and they aren't getting online. I can't always help them right away and that makes them even angrier. What I do to deal with stress is roll it off my back. They are not angry with me. They are angry with themselves for not having a back up plan to do their work. They are angry with technology not functioning as it promised to. They are angry with their bosses who are going to get angry with them. They are angry with their IT dept. who has locked them so far out of their PC's that no one can help them when they are out of town. Etc Etc.

Next time you are stressed out...try to break it down. Are they really angry with you or is there a possibility they got in a fight with their spouse/kids that morning before work? Maybe they spilled their coffee on the way in that morning. Maybe their alarm didn't get to go off in time and they had to skip their shower which set their morning in a different direction. Think about the times that has happened to you. I am sure you were a little less nice to some people also.

I have a lot of problems outside of work too and my way of dealing with it is if I can't change the situation at this given moment in time, then I am going to put it aside. There is no point in getting worked up about something that I am in no position to fix or change anyway.

The reason this is mind over matter is because it is within the power of your mind to decide how hard you are going to let something bother you. The harder you let it bother you, the more stress you feel.

Don't bury it, just "release" it.

I couldn't agree more about the angry customer thing. I work in tech support and the day is usually what I make of it. Luckily, upset or angry customers don't usually get me down, I actually find it more entertaining (I do support for Enterprise Servers, so the people are usually more professional, but once in a while there are some jerks). I just try and remember that they're not mad at me, they're mad at the equipment.
    CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    drainey wrote:
    I'm with GermanGiant, nothing like a few rounds of Unreal 2004 to relieve some stress. Of course the gym's a good bet, or a beer and a game of pool with a good buddy, or even just cranking up some blues on the stereo and veggin' out can make a huge difference.

all excellent. I study an ancient family style of kung-fu. After getting the snot beat out of me by the higher ranks, my stress levels are considerably lower :).
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    It can be tough with someone outside of IT trying to place blame when they know nothing of what you do. When I get stressed I think about how meaningless it is and think of ways to get my mind off from it. Working out helps, but the best way for me is to drink and laugh with friends. When you get stressed at work, remember its only a job and you can always find another one if need be. That might help.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i lately have been stressed
    <<<< look at the pic.. LOL this was me 2 years ago and still now

i come to understand my only stress is because i strive to be the best at what i do. when i get the feeling of stress i take a break completely, playing with kids all the time, listening to music and using the time i would study with to give to others that need help. this usually lifts my spirit and i'm ready to get back in the "ring"
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Music. I like to DJ that takes my mind off of anything stressfull. The perfect blend of melody and music; yes this is a stress reliever for me. :P
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    that statement that you have at the bottom of your post chiv is so true

so many people refuse to look at anything any different, in so many areas of life. that explains why most of them are stuck in their own personally hell
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Thanks Keenon. That statement is to remind me that I am on a quest for knowledge at all times. One can never know to much. So I try to expand my knowledge base on every aspects of life.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    gatekeeper wrote:
    Anybody having emotional issues? If so is it connected with with your work and what have you done about it. I try not to get personnel with people on my job I also try to stay focused on my work but for me this is easy said than done, I have met and worked with all types of people in the I.T. field over the years but sometimes I feel a lot of stress and I'm having trouble getting rid of it. Also going back to school for another cert.

Well, I'm not a pyshologist, but what sort of 'emotional issues' are you having? Crying at work? Not trying to make light if you really have something serious going on, but why would you be stressed at work?

I'll guess you may be young in the workforce or possibly female or both. Not that guys don't get 'stressed' by women tend to take things more personally.....this I know from experience ;)

The following is merely an objective look at a possibly 'why'?

1. inexperience at the job - too much responsibility for current skillset. This can be fixed - just need more training.

2. difficulty working in a team - from my experience, this happens when someone in the group/team is inexperienced and wants to show they have value. They work so hard at either looking for faults in their co-workers or place too much emphasis on one tiny task they accomplished. Team/group work is that....credit to be shared equally. Easier said than done.

3. communication issues - either by the individual or management. The individual can improve this by asking for clarification...when the issue is on managements side. If communication is poor on the employee side...well, then the employee needs to find a way to communicate clearly and consicely...time is money and IT people don't 'generate' income. However, they do keep things running so others can generate the income.

4. mixing home and work issues. Getting to friendly with co-workers, brining problems from home into work can cause co-workers to think less of the person, just for the sake of the negative energy or the time it consumes that employee from performing their job. Home stuff needs to stay home. Work stuff is during work. Without work, there may not be a home ;)

Again, not trying to come across as uncaring, because if you are having issues then seek professional help in your area. Have someone who deals with 'emotional issues' as you stated assist you with a plan to work through things.

I just don't think work should be 'stressful'. It's unhealthy and it's something I chose to invest a good deal of my life into and I do not wish to be stressed by it. I've changed career paths to achieve a better balance - many people seem to. Think of this, how many people do you know who went to college, earned a degree, and work in a completely different field? I know many.

Life happens and we make choices to match as many of the variables we may face during our time here.

HTH

Seriously, if you are really having 'emotional issues' find someone in your area. An internet forum is not a good place to seek that sort of help - we don't know you, your situation, your geographic culture, etc... but a trained professional in your area will be better educated on those things and can work a plan with you. Best wishes
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    "Grant That I May Not Criticize My Neighbor Until I Have walked a Mile in His Moccasins"
    - Native American aphorism
  • Options
    forbesl wrote:
    "Grant That I May Not Criticize My Neighbor Until I Have walked a Mile in His Moccasins"
    - Native American aphorism

Exactly!

I worked with a young person who had 'emotional issues' (different department/same company) who attempted suicide about a year and a half ago.

I'm guessing (and could be incorrect) you're comment may have been directed toward mine. However, in my experience, when someone is clammering on about 'emotional issues' they need to speak with someone who can help them develop a course to improve their situation - not sympathize with them.

The thread topic was about 'emotional issues' at work, not about being over-worked, stressed-out, too busy, overwhelmed, etc... Plain and clear "emotional issues".

The original poster needs to locate someone in their area who can properly help them. (IMO)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    gatekeepergatekeeper Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feed back, i'm in recovery and i have been clean and sober for seventeen years one day at a time .
    writeing about my personnel expirence/history in Private, and talking with a profesional has helped me feel better about my self and life in general , it has not been easy to face up to or overcome lifes challenges i needed help , relationships with people on or off the job can be healthy or un healthy i have learned to let people be who they are even if i don't agree with them but my peace of mind is most important .
    i found out that helping others in life helps me , like training people to use computers .
    emotional stability is an on going thing in life , a challenge and not everybody has emotional issues in my opionion , but looking at my self in an honest way has helped me to become a more productive network technician .
    thankyou techexams.
  • Options
    gatekeeper wrote:
    Thanks for the feed back, i'm in recovery and i have been clean and sober for seventeen years one day at a time .
    writeing about my personnel expirence/history in Private, and talking with a profesional has helped me feel better about my self and life in general ...

Hang in there! Congratulations on the recovery you are doing well. And you are correct, it is one day at a time (known/supported a fair number of persons going through recovery).

I'm happy to hear you are working with a professional!

Keep working on things!! :)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    gatekeeper wrote:
    i have learned to let people be who they are even if i don't agree with them
    I struggle with that daily, and many times fail doing so.

I pray you will continue to overcome!