Options

Transparent Firewall help...

loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
Ok so I have a question hopefully someone can help me with.

We are upgrading one of our sites internet connections to a T1 from a traditional cable connection. With this we need to purchase our own router to translate the T1 (1941 already purchased). My question is would the easiest way be to setup the firewall in transparent mode? (never done this before). If it is in transparent mode can we still use this to nat or should we just use the internet router (1941) to nat our internal web servers/vpn?

Current configuration:
cable modem <
> ASA 5505 <----> Cisco 1941 (WAN) <----> LAN

Proposed configuration:

Internet ISP <
> Cisco 1941 <----> ASA 5505 transparent <----> Cisco 1941 (WAN) <----> LAN

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    The 1941 should have a soft firewall in it which is practically very similar to the ASA. Why not simply use that?
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Because the ASA is better..Not too sure about the solution though
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Yea we already have the ASA so might as well use it. After reading further seems transparent firewall seems not to be the way to go as it's too complex for our setup... Possibly just use some other public ip range for the ASA and keep the NAT on the asa and use the outside router as strictly a link? Seems like a waste for a 1941 but i guess it would have to do.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    xnx wrote: »
    Because the ASA is better..Not too sure about the solution though

Realistically the difference between the 5505 (without any add on filtering cards) and the ISR firewall is probably very little. In fact, performance wise you might get more out of the ISR.