Options

Considering CWNA

ShollisShollis Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all! I am hopeful that you all could provide me with a little direction. I have a brother in-law that is in IT and he has suggested that I pursue my CWNA to get me into the IT industry. I currently have no IT certs and am curious if this is the best way to go. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to take a training course and was told to just use the study guide from CWNP and that an employer would complete training if necessary?! Do you all think this would work or am I setting myself up for failure? Other suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Scott,

CWNA might be a bit of a stretch if you have no IT background. What I would suggest, is to look into the Comptia certs first (A+, N+, Security+) first. Those you can do on your own with a book and professormesser.com free training website. If you have an interest in wireless, start with CWTS which is a good overview of the wireless industry. Then you can decide if going for CWNA is worth your effort.

No cert will get you in to the industry. It might get you an interview, but no guarantee of a job. You might need to start at the Compria trifecta, find a help desk or break/fix job then work your way up, like the majority of the folks on TE have done.
  • Options
    ShollisShollis Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Bokeh for the feed back, I appreciate it! My brother-in-law states that he has a couple of connections in Wireless here in Atlanta, but who knows.