Newbie question on setting up a VMWare lab

APJAMESAPJAMES Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm trying to setup a VMware lab for VCP on a Dell poweredge , because its a bare metal OS , I was under the impression that it should be installed on the hardware without an underlying OS (windows etc), I've done this and I have the home screen where it says to download the tools from the IP address you have assigned it, next step is to download vsphere client , most guides/ videos I look at says that the next step is go a windows machine and browse to that IP and use the vsphere client, but I thaught the idea was to install ESXi with no other OS, only other way I can think of is to use a switch with a laptop , setup DHCP and put them both on the same subnet and browse, but I'm not sure if that would even work,, and would rather not to have to use a switch all of the time. The poweredge isn't connected to the internet as its pretty far away from my home router, I'm not sure if it has to be? Anyway, could anyone shed some light on how I can use Vsphere client/ vcenter server to manage the host, and where it should be installed? Should I be installing windows first, then installing ESXi as a VM and browse that way?

Comments

• EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    This is what you do.
    1. go to Dell and download the customized ESXi installer for Dell servers.
    2. install ESXi on the server, after the install is complete and the server reboots you'll get the console for the ESXi host. Change the management IP address to something that is on your network.
    3. Download the vSphere client from VMware and install it on your computer.
    4. After the client has been installed on you computer connect to the host using the IP address and root credentials.

Vmware is not Hyper-V and what I mean by that is you can't have a GUI interface to manage the whole host on the host. You will have to use a switch in your ESXi lab. If you don't want to connect to the internet that is fine but all the management for the ESXi is network based so you don't have a choice on that matter.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking for but you would have to install ESXi on your Dell PowerEdge server and then install the vSphere Client on client machine and then manage your host from there. You would need another physical server for vCenter or you could simply create a VM on your host.
  • APJAMESAPJAMES Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    vCenter is something you can look at once you know a lot more about ESXi. Let's start with the basics. As mentioned already, you need the client.

There are two ways of obtaining the client.

1. You browse to the IP of the ESXI host on your poweredge. The host itself doesn't need internet connectivity, but your client PC does - which needs to be a Windows PC / Laptop etc. When you browse to the PowerEdge one you see a link where you can download the client. This essentially is just a hyperlink to the internet to the right version ..

So if you installed the latest 5.5 version of ESXI, it will likely be

http://vsphereclient.vmware.com/vsphereclient/1/2/8/1/6/5/0/VMware-viclient-all-5.5.0-1281650.exe

2. From the download page.

Where you initially downloaded ESXi from, you can also find a link to the vSphere Client itself.

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi5&lp=default

Second download from top says
    VMware vSphere Client 5.5 Update 1

2014-03-11 | 5.5.0U1 | 358 MB | exe

Hope it makes sense ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • APJAMESAPJAMES Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, that works fine, thank you! Is there any way to avoid using a switch , its already pretty noisy without a switch and this is where I'll be studying so if possible I'd like to reduce the noise - crossover cable, internet connection sharing, getting a wireless card for the poweredge so they're both on the same network ??
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    I've never tried using a crossover cable to connect to a host... but it might work. because it would hand out an IP address to the the management and you'd be able to connect to the management. Then as long as your VM network vswitch is on that same port as your management network then they should be able to receive an IP address. I highly doubt a wireless card in the ESXi Host will work though. What might be easier to bridge your home network to where your lab is a wireless bridge or powerline networking kit. both of those options would bridge the link to your home network with out having to jerry rig something on your laptop.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    APJAMES wrote: »
    Yes, that works fine, thank you! Is there any way to avoid using a switch , its already pretty noisy without a switch and this is where I'll be studying so if possible I'd like to reduce the noise - crossover cable, internet connection sharing, getting a wireless card for the poweredge so they're both on the same network ??

You don't want to buy a small Linksys 4 port switch? it will do the job and it's not noisy at all.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Setup static IP, put the PC on the same subnet ...as others have said , a $20 5 port switch will be silent and barely use any power. This way you can connect the guest vm's to something...otherwise you have just esxi host connected to vsphere client and nothing else?
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    He's still have networking between the VMs, just no internet connectivity :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p