Options

What's your favorite live CDs?

MacGuffinMacGuffin Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
We've been doing some "spring cleaning" at work which has involved a lot of booting up computers to see what they they can do, things like finding out what hardware they have and what's on the hard drive. Those computers that are to be sent off for recycling the drives must be wiped of all sensitive data, I've found that Darik's Boot and Nuke (or DBAN) works well for this. For computers that won't boot up from the hard drive I've been just using an Ubuntu Linux live CD. There's been a couple situations where I've found one or the other lacking. I'm looking for live CDs that can do more.

One thing I'm looking for is a good live CD to do testing and partitioning of hard drives. Some times the builtin formatting tools on OS installers are not as easy to use or as feature filled as I'd like, it would be nice to have a live CD with good tools to do that. A live CD that has something that can test RAM would be nice too.

What live CDs do you use regularly? What are some you would suggest? I'm not just talking about live CDs that cover the issues I gave above but also some that do things that you've found useful for what you do. What are some live CDs that I should avoid? Sometimes software gets a better reputation than some people believe they deserve.

Live CDs I can download and burn myself are preferred but if there is some must have pay-ware out that is worth every penny then I'd like to hear about it too.
MacGuffin - A plot device, an item or person that exists only to produce conflict among the characters within the story.

Comments