Insights on these matters...

AB.CalculusAB.Calculus Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
A recruiter contacted me in regards to an help desk contract position. I stated to him that I have help desk experience. Along the way, I told him I was comfortable with the rate since he asked me, and then I was asked if I'd be comfortable with desktop or HD. I told him desktop but if that's not open, then I'll do HD. So for some strange reason, he says that he'll send my the job description and then abruptly hanged up the call (bad sign). It's been about 3 hours and I received no email.

Almost an hour later, I get a call from the Account Manager from a program I graduated from informing me of a position I applied last week. At the moment, I couldn't recall for what role, until the person mentioned so-and-so name, in which I finally remembered. So, she asked if I was available tomorrow for an interview at 5pm (time seemed odd) but I told her I'm free. She said that she'll send an email of the address but I haven't received anything. I sent her an email, asking if everything is okay on the hiring manager side, but no response.

So this bring me to my question is:

Based on the fact what happened, could it be the possible how I come off to people? I hate to be honest but I have a "chip on my shoulder" attitude (very withdrawn from family/people, anger & resentment issues and shady, low tolerance towards people). Can people, especially recruiters/managers that sense over the phone? Also, I speak in condescending way, sometimes without realizing it and I can tell people are put-off from it, they cringe and don't want to deal with me.

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've often heard that people can tell when you're smiling over the phone. I wouldn't let experiences like these bring you down. It sounds like you're getting some good traction with your resume. As the majority of help desk and desktop support jobs are phone based, I would be (extra) intentional about how you interact with recruiters and hiring managers over the phone.

Good luck!
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like you already know the answer to your question and you know what you need to do.

Sometimes you just need to toss things out there for you acknowledge it. Now you can start being more mindful of your tone and the word you choose because it may be costing your money.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    I can somewhat relate because at times I can be shy (not sure if that's the correct word) and usually keep to myself. There are days where I wish I didn't have to speak to anyone EVER icon_silent.gif. It seems to me that you already know one of your weaknesses, and you must overcome that. When speaking on the phone to these managers/recruiters, have that issue of your on the front of your mind, and make every attempt to overcome it, especially for positions that have you on the phones. I have been able to brush away my mood, and overcome it by knowing that it was a "weakness." You know what needs to be done, and I believe that you can do it, at least while speaking on the phone and interviewing with companies.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Honestly, I read your e-mail and thought that before you even asked the question. Confidence is good, arrogance and impatience is not. Try to calm yourself and find your chi. lol
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sometimes recruiter are just useless retards who try to gather CV / resume / phone numbers / details for future desperate months when they can't make their quota ...

But I am restless / impatient myself .. If a recruiter tells he (s)he is calling at day X or let me know at time Y - I expect them to do so (must be a German thing) - if they don't, I chase.

I wondered myself if that is the right thing to do because let's face it, if you are a potential candidate the company they are recruiting for and want's an interview with you - the recruiter would be on the phone immediately since they are on commission ...

Sometimes I think it is better to just forget it and move on and not overthink it ... (or take personally for that matter).
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p