Starting new job in a few weeks

Hello everyone,

First of all, I love this site, and wanted to give everyone a personal update (since everyone has asked :D)

A little bit about me: I have worked in IT since 2008 after several years of not knowing what to do with my life. I dropped out of college in 2005 and joined the workforce full time, doing call center jobs and whatnot. In 2007, after being told that there was money to be made by working with computers, I decided that IT would be my calling. I got my lucky break in 2008, and began working at a Helpdesk job. I worked there for a few months until I was let go due to downsizing. A few months later, my father-in-law helped me get a IT instructor position, but was let go from that job due to the contract not being renewed. It was at this point where I felt hopeless. I had no degree, only a few entry-level certifications, and while looking at other jobs I realized that without a degree I would likely not get a position that I wanted. So in 2010 I decided to go back to school, and was lucky enough that my initial Helpdesk position was open. I spoke to the manager, who was and still is a good friend of mine, and I got back my old position. I worked the Desk full time while going to school full-time obtaining my Bachelor's in Computer Science. I worked there for 2 years, going to school and obtaining certs, before I got hired on to my current position as a Network Engineer. I have been here since 2012, and have enjoyed it ever since. I was able to finish my BS degree in early 2013, and quickly got into a Masters program for my MSIA, and am scheduled to graduate this December.

Now, I mention all of this to say that I received a job offer last week to work for the DOD. My new job will be a 5 minute drive to work, a 40% increase in pay, plenty of PTO, and a job that I could see myself at for the long haul. It will be in networking and security.

I wanted to show everyone my trajectory and that my path, just as many of you reading this, was not easy. But I am proof that hard work pays off. Thanks to everyone on this site for all the encouragement, and dedication to serving those that want to better the world of IT.

Comments

• kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    First off awesome on the job offer and thanks for being one of the inspirations on here to show to keep moving forward!
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    a job that I could see myself at for the long haul.

I don't mean to be a negative nancy but how can you make this claim if you haven't stepped through the door yet? DoD is notorious for being 2+ years behind the corporate world in new tech adoption meaning Government IT doesn't always give you the best exposure. And while that 40% bump might feel awesome right now, government positions typically pay less than their corporate counterparts.

Are you going to be a GS or contractor? This makes a huge different.

My credentials: I am a contractor and I am currently supporting SCCM 2007.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    It is a GS position, and you are absolutely correct. I have no way of knowing if I will truly love the job, especially after I come off of the initial high. I didn't even think about the fact that I will be working with outdated software/hardware. I used to be a contractor a few years ago, and the area in which I worked started adopting Vista in 2010, a year AFTER Windows 7 had come out.

I definitely understand your concerns, and I believe they are very valid. My current company (the one I am leaving next week) has the latest software and hardware (ie. I currently support SCCM 2012 among other things) and I know that it will take me a while to get used to the fact that I will not be working with the latest and greatest.

Thanks for your input, definitely something to keep in mind.
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the job offer and the hard work you've put in. I also work for the DoD and some of the things tprice said are spot on. There are ups and downs to working with the government, as mentioned some of the technology is behind. As you mentioned you are going into a security concentration, one benefit of that is you might get a little more fulfillment from your job if you feel like it is making an impact on the nations IT security front. It all depends what type of work the organization you work at handles. Best of luck! Since your position is a GS one you won't be quite as vulnerable to some of the issues that contractors experience with funding etc, although as last year proved GS positions can be affected as well.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats fellow Boricua. Best of luck!
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats and keep pushing forward!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Thank you all! I definitely would not have gotten to this point without the help of this site, and all you hard working, wonderful people. I will try and keep everyone posted on this new venture that I am about to embark.
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It takes time, and you need a long-term plan, especially if your going the cert route into IT.

I start an internship tomorrow (aaah!), my previous experience is some PC/Laptop repair and before that, 5 years in a bakery. I am literally jumping years ahead in regards to experience in helpdesk etc, this is my lucky break.

Even if you feel like it will never happen, and everything feels set up against you, you never know whats around the corner. Just never stop, always study, take any opportunity that comes your way, and never get complacent.
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you all! I definitely would not have gotten to this point without the help of this site, and all you hard working, wonderful people. I will try and keep everyone posted on this new venture that I am about to embark.

I haven't been on this site in almost a year, starting my new career now I will probably be on this forum again more then ever. Starting to get fanatic about getting my CCNA!

Best of luck in your new job. Glad to hear you enjoyed your previous one as well. I worked in a stressful deli before, everyone was bitter, nasty workplace politicking. I know every place has it but it seems IT positions generally avoid it.