Options

What's your opinion about reusing a paper for different conferences?

yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
Maybe this month I'll be speaking at an ISACA's conference. At the end of the year there is another conference I'd like to speak in, but the CFP is closing within a couple of weeks and I haven't thought in the topic, so I just thought to use the same paper I used for the ISACA's CON.

I have seen people repeating the same talk over and over, but the talks are about tools or products they have developed, so that make sense for marketing purposes.

My talk is basically an overview of social engineering. What do you think? Should I reuse the paper?

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Couldn't you reuse it but maybe make some changes to make it more personal for the ISACA audience? You can make a reference to your original document and maybe find a couple of examples of social engineering incidents that made the news more recently to show you are keeping the information current.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't see any problem reusing the same overall topic. Since it's about six months until the next time I'd try to update it with any current info though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    lilysimithlilysimith Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i think you shouldn't reuse the paper
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would treat it like I treat my CV. Once ever 6 months or so I dust it of and update it as needed. over time it has changed quite a bit, but i don't restart the whole thing from scratch. Just remove the old out of date bits and add information where I have gained more knowledge.

Do the same, look over it when you are a month or so from the conference, see if there are any bits that you think are out fated or plain wrong, tidy up what needs tidying up and use it like the original talk was a practice for this one.

I have seen people talking on the same subject and its clear they are using the same paper as a basic for there talk. But they have changed enough and kept it relevant so that there talks are always interesting and useful.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.