Maybe playing hard to get is the way to go with Recruiters

I was contacted the other day about a network engineer position from a recruiter saying I was perfect fit yada, yada. I asked him to email me the job specifics and salary info (if available). He said salary depended on what I'm making now and skills. While I do feel its a perfect fit it seemed to be to perfect more so a lateral move basically a job description of what I have on my resume. I responded this morning gracefully declining the pursuit of this opportunity explaining how I felt it was more of a lateral move that I would be interested in working with new things.

He responded and said "would salary make a difference 80-90k?" I'm still not sure if I'm going to pursue it. But moral of the story sometimes its ok to say no thanks if they really like you they'll show you there cards and the ball is in your court.

Comments

• DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't blame you on the lateral move. I assume that the job and benefits are the same, but the pay was a little higher? Showing loyalty to a company or more time invested with them may look good on your resume.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes pay is 45% higher then my current salary not sure on the benefits package.
  • unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Man, maybe it's because I'm poor but if someone offered me 45% more than I currently make to do a similar job and I thought it would be a good fit, I'd at least consider it. Oh well, to each their own, thanks for the info. I deal with recruiters a lot so this may prove to be useful.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    He said salary depended on what I'm making now and skills.

This is one of the most frustrating parts of job hunting for me. Companies should just give a range, if you don't fit in it, don't bother applying. It really would save everyone a lot of time and effort.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    It's in their interest to get you a higher salary. They get a cut. Not saying you're not worth it, just saying. And 45% of any salary is life changing.
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    This is one of the most frustrating parts of job hunting for me. Companies should just give a range, if you don't fit in it, don't bother applying. It really would save everyone a lot of time and effort.

If they put a salary of 65k-80K and they find a guy who would do the job for 60k then it's a win for them and why they don't give a range.
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    QHalo wrote: »
    It's in their interest to get you a higher salary. They get a cut. Not saying you're not worth it, just saying. And 45% of any salary is life changing.

Not necessarily true. A lot of them fill a position. That position pays the recruiting firm 90k a year. They pay you 75k a year. They get 15k a year. It's in their best interest to get you to take a lower salary.