MSCA or Powershell???

daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been struggling on deciding if I should pursue the MCSA:Server2012, or just study Powershell and get really good at it. Many of the jobs I see nowadays want Powershell skills. I have a MCSA:Win7 and I have been working as a system administrator, so the pull to get the MCSA:2012 or even a MCSE is strong, however I don't know if that would translate into a new job. Also I don't know if I want to spend the next 8 months studying for a certification with all of my family obligations and other responsibilities.

Is the ROI (return on investment) enough to spend the time and resources on a MCSE??? OR should I just perfect my powershell skillset.

Any advice would be appreciated!

crash.gif

Comments

• netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would think the MCSE would translate to getting a job better. You can learn powershell while you are studying for it as well since there will be competency questions on it for the tests for stuff like Active Directory management, role management and other features.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Voting for Powershell.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    To get the most out of your PowerShell skills, I'd strongly recommend putting yourself on a path to an MCSE. All the current generation of Microsoft products use the PowerShell engine as their primary automation and configuration tool - from the command-line or otherwise - and without a deep working knowledge of the environment you'd be managing with PowerShell, those scripting skills aren't going to do you much good.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • neilperryneilperry Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Maybe both? No idea what your current job situation is but if you can learn PowerShell at work by actually using it automate tasks you do manually today then you can study for the MCSE and learn PowerShell without it feeling like you are putting forth effort to learn PS.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    how long have you been a system administrator. If less then three years, I would say go for the MCSA 2012. If longer, then powershell.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You need some powershell for the 2012 exams, so why not both? If you're already working as a sysadmin then you've got a good idea of what kinds of tasks, if automated, would make your life easier. I'd say to study for the MCSA exams in your off time, and learn powershell while at work. If you can squeeze in 15 minutes a day, you'll be decent (at a minimum) by the time you finish the MCSA.

Here's a great place to start with powershell:
    PowerShell Training Course | Microsoft Virtual Academy
  • MrJimbo19MrJimbo19 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will throw my hat in for what slowhand and Qord said and add that as you study the more modern certs you are going to pickup a lot of powershell. If you do the optional activities and maybe supplement with some additional online coursework (Microsoft Virtual Academy) and some additional book knowledge (Learn Windows PowerShell in a month of Lunches is good basic book) then you will have not only the powershell down but actually understand when it makes the most sense to use.

I sat in an exchange 2010 class and literally the teacher spent most of the time showing us the powershell syntax for the exchange module and also showed us that even in the gui portions if you go to the last config screen of something it will show you the powershell commands it was actually running to accomplish the task you selected, you could copy the the command exit the gui and run it from an elevated command prompt and do the exact task you were generating within the gui.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks for the feedback. I'm going to attempt both at the same time, which may push the finish date of the MCSA back, but at least I will have a better understanding and can start automating some tasks at work.