Options

Seeking overseas contract employement advice

securitytech123securitytech123 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would appreciate any advice for obtaining I.T. contract work overseas/Afghanistan/etc. (Open to any position/location) Willing to travel up to 100%
I have the following Certifications: Net+/Security+/CEH-Certified Ethical Hacker (Associates in Computer Science) I also am seeking advice on obtaining the appropriate security clearance, as well as any advice regarding Head-Hunters, etc.
Currently; I'm employeed as a Network Operation Center (NOC) Analyst with MediaCom, and am studying for my MCP certification.

Thanks in advance...
Michael

Comments

• Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Michael, what type of work are you currently doing, and how much experience do you have? You say you are an analyst, but are you a security analyst, or a network engineer? That will help us gauge what you can do. Almost all net admin positions will prefer a CCNA. Don't worry about MCP unless you want to work systems. If you are looking security, go be a network admin for a few years.

As far as a clearance, if you don't have one already you are in a tough spot, you are competing against an increasing number of applicants who are leaving the military who already have clearances and know people.

US Divisions with International Assignments Search - Careers - L-3
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very informative reply above.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It might be hard without a security clearance off the bat.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    securitytech123securitytech123 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi SephStorm:
    Basically - I'm responsibly for monitoring the entire network for HSI, Video, VoIP/Voice, and Enterprise customer alarms/outages and responding to and resoving any/all situtation that arise.
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, and Northrop Grumman all have positions overseas listed on their respective career sites.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You will have a hard time getting downrange without a clearance these days, due to the sheer number of folks who got essentially laid off with the downsizing. That said, you might try ITT Exelis, they are the only company I know of that hires people without an active clearance (but you MUST be clearable... in fact, if you aren't, you won't get a job w/DoD anywhere overseas.)

also try clearancejobs.com to get some leads.
    ITT Exelis
    SRA International (AFRICOM/Stuttgart GE for sure) ( worked there for CSC, then left when SRA got the contract)
    Kwajalein Atoll (krsjv.com) - might be possible w/o clearance in hand already, no promises though) (worked here, loved it!!! VERY isolated tropical paradise.)
    Andros Island (Bahamas) - I think CSC still has this contract. (csc.com) When I applied a few years ago they actually wanted to fly me out for the interview, but I wound up declining because my future wife couldn't go due to custody restrictions with her sons.
    Spain - SAIC had some stuff at Rota, also try PAE Group for Moron AB. they had a support contract last I knew (been several years though)
    Smartronix - used to have some stuff in Germany, not sure but worth looking into. Worked for them in San Antonio for a while.
    General Dynamics
    SAIC
    Harris Corp. - might still have contract in Honduras

Hopefully this gives you a good starting point... I was at Kwaj, Moron AB (active duty) and AFRICOM, so feel free to ask questions and I will answer as best I can.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed