Options

MPA or Technical Masters?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Work has been going very well and I know if I stay for the long haul I will move up (going to take forever as nobody ever leaves unless they retire). I know what my raises will be so staying really isn't an issue for me. I know I want a Masters as I would like to teach at some point and if/once I move of it isn't required, but most if not all the people at the top have a Masters. Moving up I believe is going to mean that my position would be more investigative opposed to the fairly technical nature of my current position. The things we are setting up will at one point or another be moved to someone else to do the daily maintenance and report generating.

I found an MPA that is investigative centric and online. There are also several online technical Masters that I could pursue. Part of me says I could get the MPA and then just stick to technical training/reading/certs. The other part says I can get the technical Masters and through experience get the investigative side of things. It's tough because in my dealings with various groups/agencies I can see where the MPA could be important and helpful. Thoughts?
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    All the higher ups here have Masters as well, so if that's the culture for you as well I would pursue it.

I do want to ask though, MPA? Why not a MBA?
  • Options
    I work for the government thus I figured the MPA is the way to go. Also, due to the nature of what I do this particular MPA is very well suited for what I do now and in the future. Thanks!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    certoicertoi Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The technical masters is better and more marketable than the MPA. But if you are in it for the long haul and is secure in your job and you know that the MPA will easily open up more doors inside your job then go for the MPA degree.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why not get both? :)
  • Options
    Haha, if worked paid for it I would do it! That being said, it's not out of the ball park to do one and then another a few years later.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff