Options

Trying to memorize beep codes, should I just cut my losses?

Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am taking my hardware test this Friday and just a few things left that I am trying to button up; one of those is beep codes. I cannot find any logical way to make sense out of them and help me memorize them, it is a lost cause and the fact that they are different for both AMI and Phoenix BIOS’s makes it even more frustrating. I mean I have managed to memorize all the IRQ’s along with there corresponding I/O addresses but I cant get these beep codes down. I know the pool of questions on the test is huge but how many beep code questions am I likely to encounter? One or two? So should I stop wasting my time trying to learn them and focus on some else more productive or stick with it?

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I wouldn't be surprised if you got zero beep code questions...in fact I'm rather confident you should not worry about them. There are hundreds of beep codes, and it would be impossible to memorize them all; especially for A+. Not to mention, there are plenty of websites that list all of them anyway if you ever needed to look one up. Irqs/IOs you should know, there's not many of them anyway. Move on to your next topic....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Don't worry about the beep codes. Study your IRQ's, IO addresses, Printers (Laser) and stuff like that.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I agree with the above with one exception. I'm thinking the post code 'beep' is mentioned in Meyers, i.e. a good boot. But the two posts above are correct, each vendor uses similar, yet different beep codes.

A nice reference book is "PCRef, 11th" (or whatever is current today). by Thomas Glover & Millie Young ISBN: 1-885071-30-2

And of course, the web.

HTH
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hate to speak on the contrary, but I do remember having a beep code question on the A+ Core exam. I think was a keyboard error beep code if memory serves. But still relax, if you have any I seriously doubt it will be more than one or two.
  • Options
    slayer3slayer3 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had one also on my test. I wouldn't worry about it, I doubt there would be several questions related to beep codes.
  • Options
    sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with above comments. M.M. "AIO" mentions "beep" shortly. It not possible and neccesary to memorize all "beep codes". what M.M. mentioned in his "AIO" book just few very important POST beep codes. I didn't see that A+ cert would have question meaning of each beep code..it means its not important neither to A+ or tech.

Good luck with passing A+
    Plantwiz wrote:
    I agree with the above with one exception. I'm thinking the post code 'beep' is mentioned in Meyers, i.e. a good boot. But the two posts above are correct, each vendor uses similar, yet different beep codes.

A nice reference book is "PCRef, 11th" (or whatever is current today). by Thomas Glover & Millie Young ISBN: 1-885071-30-2

And of course, the web.

HTH
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    raiedraied Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should focus more on Error codes.