How do you access routers at work

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've seen different ways that this is done. At my current and previous work we use a telnet program to access the Cisco 3800 and Cisco 2800 series models but use an entirely separate software (web-based or something) to access the Cisco 7200 interface.

How do you all access router environments at work? just curious
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Haven't used telnet for years, I sue SSH for 80-90% of the tasks I do, or basic console access when building them up. I am surprised a CCNP uses telnet :)

I also use management tools that allow you to mange multiple devices and see over view of the network. (CISCO PRIME)

I don't like the device based web tools, they don't have the full function you get from CLI and they create messy configuration, so that when you have to go on to the device using the CLI to do specific config it is a night are to work out whats going on.

I find CLI and text configs is very handy for configuring, while a good management tool is needed for monitoring the network as a whole.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SSH Private Keys :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also use 95% of the time SSH to login to our routers. The other 5% I use CCP just for the fun of it.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    SSH/TACACS+ is preferred.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Some Clients Telnet, others SSH. It just depends what they have going on in there environment. When I'm building out a new network for a customer, its always SSH.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SSH/Radius. I usually use Putty Connection Manager to login to each device. Nothin' fancy.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Usually SSH, but sometimes via web interface. Really depends on the equipment. I work for an MSP, so I see some weird setups sometimes from previous consultants a lot of times. Only use console access when I can't SSH or when I am setting up a device.

I'm surprised you use telnet also. You should fix that icon_lol.gif
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    SecureCRT with SSH.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    same as this guy ^ secureCRT with SSH...and sense we are mentioning text editors, notepad++ for the win !icon_wink.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sometimes I console in directly, sometimes I SSH, sometimes I telnet, sometimes I SSH into our term servers then telnet from the term server to the tty lines on the term server.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    openssh and vim. :P
  • LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LinuxNerd wrote: »

Go with super putty, he tabs are great.

https://code.google.com/p/superputty/

just a GUI that wraps around putty to provide a nice tabbed interface. Now comes bundled with GNS3 and I find it alwmost as good as SecureCRT, but unlike that it is free.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    elderkai wrote: »
    openssh and vim. :P

How do you use Vim to connect to a router?
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    DevilWAH wrote: »

just a GUI that wraps around putty to provide a nice tabbed interface. Now comes bundled with GNS3 and I find it alwmost as good as SecureCRT, but unlike that it is free.

I agree on SuperPutty. I had tried Putty Tab Manager and a few others, but Super Putty seems to be the best free version I have found.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    How do you use Vim to connect to a router?

People were mentioning editors as well.

I use urxvt-tabbed to get tabs for ssh/anything else. Works well.
  • wizkid01wizkid01 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SSH with SuperPutty for pretty much everything.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    For the switches and routers at our sites, I'm a https kinda guy :)
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    wow, SuperPutty? ok that has not been mentioned a lot.

B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • RafaNoor91RafaNoor91 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A Nintendo DS works with WPA encryption, or open system - I know that for sure. It didn't work with WEP 64-bit, if that's how you're set up.