Options

Looking to get an Internship in Information Security during College - Any advice?

TextbookTextbook Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a relatively good looking resume, with relevant pieces about my technology background.
However, I'm finding it really hard to find any internships that are offered in the field. I applied for one that I found, which was a few months ago, however I was mostly up against seniors and post-grads and, while coming close (top few candidates) I did not get the call back.
Eventually, I'd like to become a systems analyst so I can work myself up to penetration testing.
I'm currently living in Atlanta, and will take an internship anywhere within 40 miles. I really want to start the beginnings of my career, and an internship in the field has been a goal of mine since I started taking college classes.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sometimes it can be tough to find security internships. My first suggestion would be to contact your advisor and see if you're college/university offers some form of placement. At my university we had a co-op office who's sole purpose was to setup job fairs and interviews to get student's placed. From there I would also contact your local government IT offices (State, Federal, Local, and School District). These are the sort of institutions who don't pass up people willing to work for free. Gaining contacts there will prove fairly useful down the road.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    LauraMalaveLauraMalave Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Attend your local (ISC)² chapter's meetings. There you can network with local security professionals. They may know of internship opportunities within their companies. Also, make sure to check with your college career center and professors. They may know of internships and be able to recommend you.
  • Options
    @The_Grinch - Thanks a lot for your post! I looked into the college office awhile ago, but in my field, they can't help until you reach senior (by credits) icon_sad.gif I'm looking into local government IT offices now though! Thanks!

@LauraMalave - I contacted the local chapter and their next meeting isn't until early July. I definitely planned on going and meeting some people, that's a fantastic recommendation. Thanks so much :)
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    In addition to the ISC2 chapter meetings, you also might want to look up your local OWASP chapter. They always have really interesting presentations over the technical aspects of web security, and the attendees of those meetings will probably have some recommendations regarding internships.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    I'll look into OWASP chapter as well :) Thanks!
    Hopefully both of these are "Beginner" friendly events for people interested in joining the field.

Thank you dmoore!
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another option is issa.org, the Information Security Association.