Options

What should I say?

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
So basically we got a new CIO, he is having meetings with everyone in our department, short little 20 min meetings. Our work environment is like this, we do a lot of work, switching out switches, ups, pcs, basically anything hardware, as well as change vlans, change lots of software out, rebuild pcs, just a lot of work. Our admins dont take care of none of that but they get compensated very well and we dont. Our position does not get respect from management and turnover rate is really bad, What would you guys tell the new CIO? also several other people have already mentioned to him that we are underly compensated.
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Asad950 wrote: »
    You should leave its company.
    On what basis would you offer such drastic advice?

@pixa241 - I think it's great that the new CIO is willing to learn more about the organization. Ranting about compensation is never really a good idea, in my opinion - it's too self-centered and making such a statement without explaining repercussions or impact to the business isn't useful either. As for the topic of respect or what I suspect sounds like inter-department in-fighting, that's something that a good CIO will figure out quickly.

Perhaps you can use the 20 minutes to really offer some constructive help to the CIO. Start the conversation by asking him/her what he/she is hoping to learn. Tell him/her - what your typical day is like. Explain the work intake process and progress tracking mechanism. Are there things that you do to impact quality of service to your constituents?

Basically, instead of talking about what doesn't work - talk about what works and how you can help expand on what already works.

Since you probably don't know much about the CIO's new style of management or any preconceived notions he/she may already have. Since this is your opportunity to make a first impression, unless you are prepared to offer solutions that are economically viable to the business and will contribute a positive impact, stick to the positive aspects of the department.

Good luck.