Options

Put my Notice in Today

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
After 2 years of working in my current position I received an offer from a different company and put my 2 week notice in today. It is a lateral move in to a Technical Analyst role but with a much larger and more promising environment, a 25% pay raise as well.

I have to say I didn't think I would be nervous to put notice in but I was, I made at least 2 dry runs getting up, walking toward my bosses office and veering in to the bathroom at the last minute lol. He took it surprisingly well, he even congratulated me. If I'm being honest I feel a hint of seperation anxiety coming on, this was my first IT job and its a little nerve wracking venturing out of that comfort zone. I suppose though, progress can't be made without moving in to foreign territories right? To the future! :)
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• Options
    Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

When I gave notice at my last employer my nerves were through the roof. You prepare the best you can. Write a formal letter. Even have dry runs. There is nothing like quitting your first "real job". Especially when you have been there for a few years (5.5 years in my case). Once its out though, it is exhilarating. Reminds me of going on that huge roller coaster with the slow gradual build-up and followed then the plunge.

Hope you like the new company and good luck!
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! I find the employers who truly care about you will wish you well in future endeavors.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Congratulations, and I know you'll do great at your new position.

I recently gave my notice, and thought I was in the minority where I would walk towards the boss' office only to walk away with a sudden change of heart.

Good luck!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    That's hilarious with the dry runs. Best of luck in the new endeavor.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and glad to hear the current employer was respectful about it!
  • Options
    Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's awesome man! Congrats on the new position.

For one employer that I had, I was there for over three years, even with a supervisor and others telling the big bosses that I do the work of their entire department all by myself, the big bosses would not promote me. I went into the bosses office, asked what I had to do to get a promotion, he asked what my qualifications were, I told him. His response, "Damn, you can hold any job here. Hell, you can even have my job." My response after I stood up from the other side of his desk, "Good then, you let me know when you don't want your job and I'll gladly take if off your hands," I turned and walked out. I went into his bosses office, told him everything, told him my quals, gave him my CV, he assured me that I would have a promotion within 30days to a more respectful level in accordance with my workload. Ninety days passed and nothing, I looked elsewhere and then when I found a job, this boss told me "I hope you fluck over them like you are doing to me! Don't think you can ever come back here because you are not welcome!" Then at my going away, I had almost 200people there, everyone saying awesome things about me, and this guy stands up and says, "He will be missed. He has done so much for us. Nobody will be able to replace him and do what he does by themselves. I wish he wasn't leaving. He will always be able to come back if he wants." I come to find out that after I left, they hired seven people to do what I did by myself and people still hated it because none of them did it as well as I did. So the big boss says to a lady who I still talked to, "Wow! People really miss him. He touched so many people and was loved by everyone. It sucks that he is gone. Do you think he would come back if I offered it to him?" Her response, "Um, probably not and even if he did, you would probably have to pay him at least $90K." ((Mind you when I left, I was making $32,500))
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys!

Yeah I do feel a bit bad, its a fairly small crew, only 3 of us, and one of us is going on vacation in 2 weeks, pretty bad timing. I did talk to the new employer though and it works out best for both parties for me to finish out the week seeing as how I put my notice in on a Tuesday so that helps. My current boss even offered to hold up his promise to pay for my CCNA exam if I gave him the extra days which was pretty cool of him.

It was a very small MSP and the pay wasn't great but man did I get a boat load of experience, 2 years in the field and I'm doing full server deployments, firewalls, campus wireless, GP, AD, etc. and I have never had a day that went by too slow. I can only hope that the new job is as fulfilling.
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    FUnny, when I resigned from my first "big" role I was also nervous .. In fact, I felt bad .. felt like letting them down .. I think I even negotiated a longer notice with the new job so I am not out too quickly and have time to hand things over (regretted the bit later on though).

Further down the line you realize that a company wouldn't even blink twice to let you go and yet you are nervous every single time :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    bugzy3188 wrote: »
    After 2 years of working in my current position I received an offer from a different company and put my 2 week notice in today. It is a lateral move in to a Technical Analyst role but with a much larger and more promising environment, a 25% pay raise as well.

I have to say I didn't think I would be nervous to put notice in but I was, I made at least 2 dry runs getting up, walking toward my bosses office and veering in to the bathroom at the last minute lol. He took it surprisingly well, he even congratulated me. If I'm being honest I feel a hint of seperation anxiety coming on, this was my first IT job and its a little nerve wracking venturing out of that comfort zone. I suppose though, progress can't be made without moving in to foreign territories right? To the future! :)

Trial by fire is really the only way to significantly grow. That is why there are so few good Engineers in the business, it's too easy to accept mediocrity and be "comfortable".

You'll see, you will look back at your current position in 6-12 months and giggle because you have grown so far past that. You will do this in almost everything in life because what is life but a collection of experiences.

Good luck!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the new gig!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and best of luck for your new job! :)
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bugzy3188,

Congratulations on the new job!!!
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the new job!
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Grafixx01 wrote: »
    That's awesome man! Congrats on the new position.

For one employer that I had, I was there for over three years, even with a supervisor and others telling the big bosses that I do the work of their entire department all by myself, the big bosses would not promote me. I went into the bosses office, asked what I had to do to get a promotion, he asked what my qualifications were, I told him. His response, "Damn, you can hold any job here. Hell, you can even have my job." My response after I stood up from the other side of his desk, "Good then, you let me know when you don't want your job and I'll gladly take if off your hands," I turned and walked out. I went into his bosses office, told him everything, told him my quals, gave him my CV, he assured me that I would have a promotion within 30days to a more respectful level in accordance with my workload. Ninety days passed and nothing, I looked elsewhere and then when I found a job, this boss told me "I hope you fluck over them like you are doing to me! Don't think you can ever come back here because you are not welcome!" Then at my going away, I had almost 200people there, everyone saying awesome things about me, and this guy stands up and says, "He will be missed. He has done so much for us. Nobody will be able to replace him and do what he does by themselves. I wish he wasn't leaving. He will always be able to come back if he wants." I come to find out that after I left, they hired seven people to do what I did by myself and people still hated it because none of them did it as well as I did. So the big boss says to a lady who I still talked to, "Wow! People really miss him. He touched so many people and was loved by everyone. It sucks that he is gone. Do you think he would come back if I offered it to him?" Her response, "Um, probably not and even if he did, you would probably have to pay him at least $90K." ((Mind you when I left, I was making $32,500))

Grfixx1,
    I don't think that it was respectful that you went over your boss's head to get a promotion. If you did not have his approval, he felt slighted. This may not erase all of the great work you have done but it puts a bad taste in is mouth.
    If your immediate boss can't promote you because of upper management, you may ask why - don't take it personally and just move on.

Good luck in your new job!!

Regards
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Trial by fire is really the only way to significantly grow. That is why there are so few good Engineers in the business, it's too easy to accept mediocrity and be "comfortable".

You'll see, you will look back at your current position in 6-12 months and giggle because you have grown so far past that. You will do this in almost everything in life because what is life but a collection of experiences.

Good luck!
    +Rep
    This why experience tends to trump all other qualifications.
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330

Good luck!

100% accurate. I made the jump exactly one year ago today from a small shop where I was the technical lead in all disciplines to an enterprise environment focusing on route/switch and voice. The amount I have learned and grew as an engineer in 12 months is astounding.

Congrats on your new gig!
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    aaron0011 wrote: »
    100% accurate. I made the jump exactly one year ago today from a small shop where I was the technical lead in all disciplines to an enterprise environment focusing on route/switch and voice. The amount I have learned and grew as an engineer in 12 months is astounding.

This is what I plan on doing 1 year from now. Excellent.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    This what I'm doing in 6 months once I get the CCNA and VCP. My pay right now is just a cusp of what I could be making. My 3 years on hands-on "in-the-trenches" experience with all things IT from network/system support and troubleshooting to little notice network design to disaster recovery from a massive flood (Sandy) all of which is invaluable and something a certification can't teach..