Input on new build for a lab ESXi host

JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
Hello,

I want to build a new ESXi server for my lab use, as the current one based on core2quad is maxed out. The one I currently have is based on old supermicro board with max ram of 4x2gb ddr2 so a total of 8gb. It's been working great for basic things like ad/dc/dns/ a couple vm's running server 2k3/linux/xp/win7 but now that I am trying to lab Cisco UC call manager / cups I am already running into walls.

So, instead of going with the i7 4790 which is maxed at 32gb, I am thinking maybe it's worth putting extra money towards a xeon e5 2640v2 ?

ARK | Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2640 v2 (20M Cache, 2.00 GHz)

for a board something like this - SUPERMICRO X9SRI-F ATX Server Motherboard - Newegg.com

I am looking at Xeons because I don't want to be limited to 32gb limit, and instead I think it's worth putting a little extra towards a cpu/board that can support more should I need to go past 32gigs.

Thoughts, other suggestions on another cpu/board?

Thanks
2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.

Comments

• massontechmassontech Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you planing to run a nested Vmware environment for studying purposes or installing on plain Hardware. ?

I have a 32GB Shuttle XPC with solid state HD and run a vmware nested environment - so far so good it has been fine and i am able to perform 90% of all vmware functions.That is Esxi 5.5.

IT is always advisable to beef up your environment with RAM RAM RAM.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I tried to go down this route but it ended up being too expensive.
    I got myself a Dell T5500 on eBay ... this box supports a raiser card which adds another CPU and 3 RAM slots. Currently running on Dual Xeon E5520 and 72GB of RAM - Running nested 5.5 just nicely :)

Especially you lot in the US get those Dell's for next to nothing ..

I mean just as an example : Dell Precision T5500 Win7 Dual Xeon 2 13GB Quad Core 12GB 500GB 250GB HDD 5397063131723 | eBay

That is just a smudge more than your motherboard alone ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    I tried to go down this route but it ended up being too expensive.
    I got myself a Dell T5500 on eBay ... this box supports a raiser card which adds another CPU and 3 RAM slots. Currently running on Dual Xeon E5520 and 72GB of RAM - Running nested 5.5 just nicely :)

Especially you lot in the US get those Dell's for next to nothing ..

I mean just as an example : Dell Precision T5500 Win7 Dual Xeon 2 13GB Quad Core 12GB 500GB 250GB HDD 5397063131723 | eBay

That is just a smudge more than your motherboard alone ...

Hmm, how much ram does it support on the board w/o adding a riser card?
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JeanM wrote: »
    Hmm, how much ram does it support on the board w/o adding a riser card?

The above PC comes with the raiser, as it says dual CPU, anyway, the board without got 6 slots .. so it depends on your budget. 48 GB by default, but people do say they have tried 16GB dimms as well and it works. Some people even selling them with 6x16GB (96GB) :

Dell T5500 No OS X5647 2 93GHz 96GB 500GB SATA 5000 | eBay
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    I'll explore that option as well, thanks!
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would look at this: Dell PowerEdge C1100 CS24 Ty 1U 2X Xeon QC L5520 2 26GHz 4XTRAYS 72GB DDR3 | eBay

I have used 2 of these as well as 2 hp dl160g6. Both pretty much have the same hardware and will work well for pretty cheap.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    ^^^^^^

2.26 GHZ I think you will run into problems running unity connection on 9 if you are trying to do Voice apps. CUCM 9 won't start without a 2.5 GHZ processor if I remember correctl
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    I ended up getting a 4790 after doing bunch of research and weighting in cost difference. I'll just run 2 vm hosts, one will handle basic vm/servers but the 4790 will handle the more demanding CUxx stuff.