Options

Resume review

yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys! Just another resume review thread!

Comments

• Options
    21 views and no single comment about it? come on dudes!
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    I'm quoting for the resume:
    Over the years I have gained a general knowledge of different IT fields, from the technical to the management
    side. The areas of my interest are intelligence gathering, cyber crime and cyber warfare, currently specializing in
    threat analysis, social engineering, OSINT and ethical hacking.
    You typically say my areas of interest, not the areas of my interest.
    Student for long time, I haven't had the opportunity to get so much professional experience. However, I have
    successfully demonstrated my worth working for the employment service of my government, where I had a fixed-
    term contract as sysadmin, and within days, I had become the security engineer responsible for everything
    related to security within this project.

As a student for a long time, but I don't really like the sound that either.

My duties were perform threat analysis, design the security infrastructure, implement security controls, provide information security awareness and monitor the systems.

My duties were to perform.
    Provided 1st line support to 100+ Windows systems, either locally or remotely using VNC, troubleshooting
    hardware, Windows and proprietary software. Also, built and deployed new PCs in the network.

I would replace the final sentence with "I also built and deployed new PCs".

But keep in mind that I'm not a native speaker myself either so take my advice with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    ram1101ram1101 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just put bilingual English/spanish,
    summary too long, dont talk about not having experiance, put your education at the end or after professional experiance.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ...Over the years I have gained...
    Over the years, I have obtained
    The areas of my interest are
    My areas of interest include
    Student for long time, I haven't had the opportunity to get so much professional experience
    Being a full-time student for the last couple of years, my opportunity to gain valuable professional experience has been somewhat limited.
    ...demonstrated my worth working...
    Don't use the word "Worth". It doesn't show as much self-confidence. Instead, use "skillset"

...where I had a fixed-term contract as sysadmin...
    Fluff
    ...and within days, I had become the security engineer...
    Craft this a little differently. Try this: "Because I displayed such drive and made a somewhat impressive exhibition, I was hired to be the security engineer....

I know I'm picky, but I'm not done icon_lol.gif (I was the English teacher's pet)

Cut out the language part (Unless you're applying to a company where bilingual proficiency is requested in the application). To make the skills section look a little prettier, try getting it centered appropriately. Use a table for this, and then hide the borders. If you want the formatting to be kept when uploading, I would also recommend doing it all in a table and then hiding the borders. Since you have a Master's, I'd say putting the Associate's on there is optional. Lastly, make the job descriptions a little more specific. Especially if you have some specialized skillset that's difficult to come by. It'll make it even better if you explain the skill in a context that makes it sound like you know what you're talking about (Even though the interviewer will probably test you, it always helps. It's all about the context).

p.s. Organization is spelled wrong below IT Technician:D
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    what about this amended summary:

Over the years, I have obtained a general knowledge of different IT fields, from the technical to the management side. My areas of interest include intelligence gathering, cyber crime and cyber warfare, currently specializing in threat analysis, social engineering, OSINT and ethical hacking.

Being a full-time student for the last couple of years, my opportunity to gain valuable professional experience has been somewhat limited.However, I have successfully demonstrated my skill set working for the employment service of my government, where thanks to my knowledge and my proactive attitude, I became the security engineer responsible for everything related to security within this project.

why are you saying to get rid of the language section? Isn't it good to show that I know another language even if it's not required by the job?
  • Options
    ProtoPrimeProtoPrime Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yzT wrote: »
    what about this amended summary:

why are you saying to get rid of the language section? Isn't it good to show that I know another language even if it's not required by the job?

I'm assuming that the language section is counted as fairly unnecessary unless you're extremely fluent. OTherwise, it's just a bit of fluff that no one cares about. I have a language section in mine that I'm strongly considering removing as It doesn't really fit anything else as well. So I know your pain.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    currently specializing in threat analysis
    Don't use currently unless it's at the beginning of the list
    ...service of my government, where thanks to my knowledge and my proactive attitude...
    Omit the "where" and start "Thanks" in a new sentence.

As for the language, as ProtoPrime says above, if you aren't FLUENT in it, unless it's listed in the job requirements, don't include it. The only languages most IT employers care about is English and computer languages :D (Unless you're not from America. Then maybe there's something I'm missing).
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []