Options

Getting CISSP

xepennxepenn Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anyone give me some guidance regarding getting the CISSP. I know that I need to pass the test, show prior experience in the field, and get an endorsement but it's unclear how I go about it. The website directs me to the Pearson Vue ISC page which then asks me to schedule an exam. At what point do I need to present an endorsement or evidence? What kind of evidence do I provide? Do I just name the duties in my previous jobs?

Comments

• Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    Here is how you achieve the CISSP certification.

1. Study/accquire your CISSP knowledge through self-study, or classroom

2. Do you have at least 5 years in Information Security at least 2 out of 10 domains?

If YES, then schedule for the exam

Once you pass the exam, you provide your resume with experiences verification, and endorsement

If NO, then you schedule to take the exam as Associate CISSP

You require to earn your experience while hold an Associate CISSP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    Hi CyberfiSecurity. I've worked full time for ten years in telecommunications and every job I had involved elements of encryption, physical security, disaster recovery planning and other components of the CISSP. I also have Security+ certification which I read would waive one year of experience. However, most of these jobs I've worked were in the military or employed as a contractor by the military. A great deal of what I was involved with doesn't apply to the civilian world. Is there anyway to be sure that these things will be accepted as experience prior to taking the exam? If I take the CISSP exam and pass will I still be an associate if my work experience isn't accepted? Or do I have to apply for the exam as an associate?
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Register at ISC2 for an account. You will get an ISC2 account number. Create a PearsonVue account under the ISC2 program. It will prompt you for your ISC2 account number.

When you schedule the exam, it will ask you if you have the required experience. If not, you can elect to go for the associate of ISC2 designation. Either way, its the same test.

After you pass the exam, you can either submit your endorsement and resume that states you have the required experience, or you can elect to become an associate of ISC2 until you meet the required 5 years of experience (4 with certain certs). If you submit your endorsement and resume and ISC2 does not accept your experience as valid, you can opt to become an associate of ISC2 until you meet the required amount.

The information you need to provide (your endorser actually submits it on your behalf) include your work experience and details, dates, phone and email of supervisors. Don't worry about the process too much, your pass print out gives you step by step instructions on how to complete the process (it's also emailed to you).

Also, all 6 years of my experience were military/DoD work. ISC2 does not make a distinction between "civilian" and "federal"....
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    Thanks jvrlopez. That clear things up.