Options

Need advice on how to start IT career

stuntroguestuntrogue Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi I recently got laid off and I have been in retail for over 14 years and my last position was a Assistant Manager. I have tons of customer service experience and I know my way around a computer. I know how to backup data, trouble shoot virus and windows trouble shooting. I was thinking about stating a new career in IT as I don't really want to go back to retail. I know for sure I will be getting my A+ but I am not sure what to get next to start this career. Some advice I got so far was to get the A+ and CCNA but I did not see any entry level job for A+ and CCNA. Some people said to get A+ and Net+ first and that to start in helpdesk. What is the pay like for helpdesk? I look up on salary.com and the avg said 55k but looking online and reading seem like the pay is more like $17 an hour. Thank you in advance for any advice. Or should I get A+ and Microsoft cert?

Comments

• Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I would say get the A+ / Net + / Sec + / Server + while at the entry level, and once your working start on the MCSA / CCENT / CCNA tracks (R/S, Voice, Security, etc), and once you move up to the next level where you are getting hands on experience move up to professional level certs.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forums. You found a great place.

Entry level is always a little tricky. You really only need A+ to start applying to help desk jobs. There is going to be big variations in pay. Entry level can start close to minimum wage and up to 50k. There are just to many variables to come up with anything specific. Some companies want cheap labor and others like to cycle thru temp employees.

I think you should try to bang out the A+ and shoot for some sort of position. It only takes a couple of years to become experienced and start looking at better options.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome, But after A+ what should I go for? I know I can finish my A+ really fast and I am in a special program that will cover some cost of the classes but I need to present to them a plan by next week and the plan needs to include what kind of job I will be able to get after I finish the classes. So all I have down is A+ now.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Get your A+ then get your Network+ certification. Don't get too far a head of yourself. After you complete your A+ start applying to jobs entry levels. Helpdesk, desktop support, computer repair are the types of jobs you'll want to look for.

Work experience is the biggest thing you need and doesn't necessary have to be paid. Anything you can put on a resume like 1 time projects or volunteering.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    +1 for A+ Net+ and get Windows 70-685. That should help you get started. Once in support, you'll figure out what to do next.
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    My vote is to do the A+ for sure. If you plan on going for the CCNA at some point I'd suggest skipping Network+ and do Security+ followed by CCENT/CCNA. Network+ is a waste of time and money if you're going down the Cisco path. Studying for the Network+ isn't a bad idea because it's geared for newcomers, but there's no need to take the test unless you're going in a different direction than networking.

Once you've studied for the A+/Net+/Sec+ odds are you'll have a pretty good idea of what area of IT interests you and can figure out where to go from there.
  • Options
    hellolinhellolin Member Posts: 107
    stop, you said you have a lot retail experience and good with computers? Are you good with explain very tech like stuff and translate them to common, business languages to customers, that includes business partners? You might want to give a look at IT sales, every single IT company has a department like that, and they like people who is tech savoy but also people savoy, and one advantage to you, most people that are highly skilled in the tech field lacks the soft skill that people in your trade highly process, so I think if you want to make money you might want to start applying sales jobs for an IT company. If you do good sales you will be back to your manager position in 2-3 years!
  • Options
    hellolin wrote: »
    stop, you said you have a lot retail experience and good with computers? Are you good with explain very tech like stuff and translate them to common, business languages to customers, that includes business partners? You might want to give a look at IT sales, every single IT company has a department like that, and they like people who is tech savoy but also people savoy, and one advantage to you, most people that are highly skilled in the tech field lacks the soft skill that people in your trade highly process, so I think if you want to make money you might want to start applying sales jobs for an IT company. If you do good sales you will be back to your manager position in 2-3 years!
    I have been trying to apply for inside sales but did not get a break yet. One of the sales manager said that I did not have enough business customer experience, so I am looking for a backup plan. Also I as going to get up to $6000 (Only get one change to use it) of fund to take some classes. So I am trying to find out what are the best classes to take. I took one part of the A+ class back in city college long time ago and got an A, so I know pass A+ wont be a problem.
    I just don't want to waste my time and then find out 3 months later that the class I took is not going to help me land a job. But THANK YOU everyone for their inputs.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    What are the stipulations of that $6,000? That would cover 2 terms(1 year) at WGU. If you aren't working and can manage to pay your bills for a year I would suggest that route. You could finish a 4 year degree in IT in that year, and get a bunch of certs along the way.
  • Options
    We certainly don't have enough information to make a suggestion beyond the basics for getting into help desk. If you are in a position to take some time off then something like WGU might work for you. This type of training is not for everyone and if you have limited experience studying for cert exams it's hard to gauge your preparedness for it.

I am working on a career change myself. I am still employed so I am taking a two plus year approach to the process. I signed up at my local community college for the Associates in Computer Science. For part of the program I took Cisco Netacad classes to prepare me for the CCNA and I hope to pursue either system admin or networking career. I'm a year into and I still can't say which one will be best for me. My past experience in another field is closer to system admin but I find networking enjoyable. So in the end it's probably going to come down to what opportunities I come across.

Try looking into certificate programs. My college offers a 1 year networking certificate but I was attempting to give myself more options by taking the Associates Degree.

I am glad you have some assistance towards retraining but I think the program is a little unrealistic giving you one week to plan your future.

Good Luck. I highly recommend you stick around this site there is a wealth of info from working class members.
  • Options
    I just check and I cant use the money to WGU and I also cant take any extra time off unless my unemployment gets extended. (I got 3 months left) Any one with any experience with that. EDD told me I wont know if I can get training extension till I apply in 3 months. I am really surprise to hear that A+ is all you need to get an helpdesk job but when I look online I don't really see jobs with just A+ requirement (in San Jose, CA area). If I want to learn networking is Net+ the best or is there other programs that will be better like cisco?
  • Options
    A+, Network+, and Security+ are the standard recommendations for getting started. It covers all of the basics.

The members the discourage Net+ are looking at the long term picture where it holds little value after you have some experience. I would go ahead and study for it. The knowledge will help you in almost any technical position.

Keep in mind the entry level market is not easy. A+ will get you a job in some places. Others will ask for the world and your first born then offer minimum wage. Just realize that every employee has started somewhere with no experience at some point in their life. Companies do at times higher people with no experience.
  • Options
    abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't know why everyone is talking about A+ and Network+
    Nowadays most job ads are asking for C#/ASP.NET MVC/Javascript/Python/Ruby
    Web Applications are entry level~ my opinion.
    Go look at some job ads, don't take my word for it.
    edit: Also things are getting tough, even for the most basic jobs you have to have your first degree. So I hope they aren't demanding degrees for help desk too.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    abyssinica wrote: »
    Don't know why everyone is talking about A+ and Network+
    Nowadays most job ads are asking for C#/ASP.NET MVC/Javascript/Python/Ruby
    Web Applications are entry level~ my opinion.
    Go look at some job ads, don't take my word for it.
    edit: Also things are getting tough, even for the most basic jobs you have to have your first degree. So I hope they aren't demanding degrees for help desk too.

C#, ASP.net, and those other languages you mentioned are more for web development. The OP wants to get into a help desk role and considering he is planning to go for CCNA he wants to get into networking eventually. While scripting languages can be useful for networking, they aren't needed for entry level helpdesk work. The A+ And Network+ is definitely a good start.
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    I'd strongly suggest to first go for network+ then go for MCTS on Win7 (70-680, 70-685[if u want]), then go for the server+ to get a good grip on enterprise hardware stuff & then top it off with CCNA and no one can stop u from getting a good paying job. good luck buddy..
    stuntrogue wrote: »
    Hi I recently got laid off and I have been in retail for over 14 years and my last position was a Assistant Manager. I have tons of customer service experience and I know my way around a computer. I know how to backup data, trouble shoot virus and windows trouble shooting. I was thinking about stating a new career in IT as I don't really want to go back to retail. I know for sure I will be getting my A+ but I am not sure what to get next to start this career. Some advice I got so far was to get the A+ and CCNA but I did not see any entry level job for A+ and CCNA. Some people said to get A+ and Net+ first and that to start in helpdesk. What is the pay like for helpdesk? I look up on salary.com and the avg said 55k but looking online and reading seem like the pay is more like $17 an hour. Thank you in advance for any advice. Or should I get A+ and Microsoft cert?