Options

Fair or Foul?

JamesRFJamesRF Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
My boss has shown a habit of letting me know I'll be on call the Thursday or even Friday afternoon before. He will say "I'll be out of town" or "I have a social event to attend" or "I will be unavailable this weekend". Now every other company I've worked for has a set schedule. I have tried to talk to him about it in a polite way and tell him that sometimes I have plans for the weekends and it doesn't seem to help much. He's gotten slightly better and given some notice but normally you know a couple weeks ahead of time. I've been at this job 6 months, and this worries me on whats next.

So, what would you do in this situation?

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is there an explicit written policy in regards to being on-call? When hired how was on-call explained to you? Was it in the job description? Personally, I'd what out this information and then approach him again in a more direct manner. Obviously don't be rude, but simply state you'd like a bit more of a heads up. Always easier when you can cite a written policy which is why I suggest you find it prior to bringing the subject up again. My otherquestion would be how often has this happened in six months? Based on your examples I'd say at least three times, which in the span of six months isn't terrible, but I'd need a bit more information
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    No there is not a policy about it at all. It was not explained or even talked about in the interview from what I remember. There really is nothing to cite so that makes it tough to bring it up. I can handle being on call if I'm told in advance but to wait is just shady to me.

I should also add that this just started happening 2 months ago.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JamesRF,

If it's just the two of you, your boss may be trying to informally update you. As long as you let him know ahead of time that you have some plans you should be ok.

Regards,
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In that case, I would see if it continues and at that point approach him for a chat. Let him know that if possible better noticed would be appreciated so you can adequately plan to be sure you are available to provide the most prompt service in the event that the need arises.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I work in a three person department that needs to handle off hour emergencies. I will often tell my boss ahead of time when I have plans certain days and he will do the same.

How often do you get calls and how much work do they involve? You boss might be trying to be polite and you are seeing it as taking advantage.
    I would start the conversation by informing him when you have some plans and see where it goes.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Sometimes things come up and the person that is supposed to be on call has to hand it off to someone else. When your boss does these things, does he give you as much notice as he is able to? Or does he know he know several days ahead of time but only tell you the afternoon of the day before? Also, does he show the same flexibility when you have something come up during your on-call rotation?

Honestly, you probably will have to be willing to get into a small confrontation. If he tries to put you on-call for a weekend without normal notice, tell him you have plans and you cannot. I first learned this during retail jobs when I was in high-school and college. When they call to ask you to come in because someone called in sick, just say no.
  • Options
    I also work in a 3 person department. I do tell him ahead of time if something is planned, but the problem is the unplanned. One Friday he waited until 4(I get off at 4:30) to inform us he wouldn't be available. While there is another person on the team he lives 40 minutes away. I find it to be a little wrong to wait that late in the day to notify. Ahead of time to me is the beginning of the week, which is exactly what I do. I sometimes even let him know as soon as plans are made several weeks ahead.

All that being said, I have only gotten 1 call since working at this company. Its more the concept of me needing to sit at home.
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    Being on call is an unfortunate part of our occupation. However, do not let it make you set at home. You have a life to live, as long as the company has a cell phone to reach you, do what you need / want to do within reason. I would not plan on being too far from the area, but waiting for a call that may never come will wear you down, which is not necessary. I am on call every 3 weeks, but if a call comes in and I am out doing something I explain to the contact that I will be there by a certain time. Depending on the call, this may mean 30 minutes or a couple of hours.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    (QUOTE)Sometimes things come up and the person that is supposed to be on call has to hand it off to someone else. When your boss does these things, does he give you as much notice as he is able to? Or does he know he know several days ahead of time but only tell you the afternoon of the day before? Also, does he show the same flexibility when you have something come up during your on-call rotation?

Honestly, you probably will have to be willing to get into a small confrontation. If he tries to put you on-call for a weekend without normal notice, tell him you have plans and you cannot. I first learned this during retail jobs when I was in high-school and college. When they call to ask you to come in because someone called in sick, just say no.(/QUOTE)

I understand this but there is no set schedule for being on call. Even if I did have plans and said no it shouldn't be postponed until Friday to inform us he can't be. I normally don't make plans but weekends are the time to relax and get away from work. I think the job just has bad work/life balance like i've heard talked about on this forum.
  • Options
    When your boss announces this is there an expectation that you are going to sit home and cover?
    Your coworker is 40 minutes away is his choice not your problem. Is he also sitting home or have you told him not to worry about you will take all of the calls that come in.

If one call in 6 months is poor work/life balance I think you need to reconsider your career. Not to be harsh but I think you are making a bigger deal or this then necessary. I am not there so obviously I can't know the situation but it does not sound unreasonable to me.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    @Jon I don't see the issue as call volume so much as he is expected to be available to respond regardless of his plans, even when it is shoved on him at the last minute... I see it as his boss is usually the one to respond, and when he is unavailable, he lets the OP know. (Doesn't make it right but that's what I think is happening.)

@OP I would ask you boss if you can 1) formalize some kind of rotating schedule - downside is you will be formally on the hook, but so will your coworker (his living location isn't your fault, and doesn't mean you should accept more responsibility to cover for him. Unless you are so inclined. :) ) 2) ask to be a part of developing a formal on-call policy so you can have input; frame it as a clarification tool, so you can make plans in the future without conflict, 3) ask to not be on-call. Again depends on your specific situation but the end-result is to have something in writing that you are/are not expected to be on call.

JAT.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    @Jon I don't see the issue as call volume so much as he is expected to be available to respond regardless of his plans, even when it is shoved on him at the last minute... I see it as his boss is usually the one to respond, and when he is unavailable, he lets the OP know. (Doesn't make it right but that's what I think is happening.)

JAT.

Fair enough.

I think there is a lot more to this story we are not getting. I still don't feel we have seen anything out of the ordinary that deserves the description of poor life/work balance. Being on call is common but waiting at home for that call to come is not something I have ever done.

Either way I think discussing it honestly with the boss is the best way to go. If the conversation does not go anywhere then try putting it in writing.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Definitely foul in my opinion. A social event is certainly not an acceptable reason to hand off on call at the last minute. Maybe with an advance notice and asking someone if they can cover for you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not a big deal IMO.

I can manage every device via my iPad and most issues are very simple, so I can be at the movies or wherever with no worries.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    Fair enough.

I think there is a lot more to this story we are not getting. I still don't feel we have seen anything out of the ordinary that deserves the description of poor life/work balance. Being on call is common but waiting at home for that call to come is not something I have ever done.

Either way I think discussing it honestly with the boss is the best way to go. If the conversation does not go anywhere then try putting it in writing.

I'm sorry I didn't explain fully. He has not stated or hinted at me staying at home waiting on a call, that was my interpretation of what being on call means. Before this job I've never been on call(don't ask me how I've dodged that bullet). Being on call is a new idea for me. My last job as soon as you clock out and get in your car, you don't think or need to worry about work until Monday.

It upsets me is when it's so last minute. Both times it happened I had no plans but its more of a ethics thing for me.I agree with you all a schedule needs to be made. Being on call is the norm and unless I can get a job without, I'll get used to the idea.

I appreciate all the advice and input you all have provided.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Find another job, immediately. Life's too short to put up with this crap.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was thinking about your problem and while I haven't had the same situation, I've had similar where I've had to adjust plans including vacation plans.

I think you shouldn't say anything about it all or even behave differently. But every once in a while, you should say that you already have plans because you were going away. Or - say that you bought tickets to see the game and you can be oncall but only after X time. Just to cause enough stress for him that he may start to plan a little better.