Options

Study with Messer

sd37sd37 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I'm about to start prepping for the 70-680 and I'm have a few questions about prepping. I have taken a Win 7 course and have been using it since it came out, so I'm not a total newbie to it at all. Seeing as most of the prep books out there have pretty crappy reviews:

1. Are the Messer videos/study guide a good enough source to prep for this bad boy? I mastered the CCNA but I still hear horror stories about MS exams

2. Any tips for studying with the Messer materials? DO most of you take notes as you watch or do you just watch the videos over and over?

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Messer videos are a good start but aren't nearly enough to pass the 70-680 exam. My advice is to search Amazon for study books with high user ratings and go from there. I recommend purchasing at least 2 books from different authors and read them thoroughly, labbing as you go.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    sd37sd37 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a copy of the command guide by Darril Gibson, would that count as a book? I think if it as more of a reference. I've heard the Poulton book is great, but most of the others seem to get subpar reviews. Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Poulton book is the best, but it's insufficient as a sole study resource. I recommend picking up the Poulton book, as well as either the Microsoft self-pace training kit, or the Panek book. Grab all three if you can afford it. The more resources you have to utilize, the better.

Keep in mind that there's no substitute for hands-on experience, so that's going to be vital going into the exam. Either experience on the job, or experience labbing in a virtualized environment at home.

Good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)