Options

Am I being unreasonable asking for a phone interview?

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
I had a interview for a job today over the phone. When they had contacted me, I asked if we could it over the phone because the job is 3 hours one way from my area. I'm working part time and I only make $8 an hour, so money is a little tight. I was told that this is the first round and if I make the second round, I have to come down there or I'm out of the running. With that being said, am I being unreasonable asking for a phone interview over in person considering that gas is about $3.80 a gallon right now?

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Would you have to work that distance? If the money is right, a 6 hour round trip drive sucks but is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things if it's beneficial towards your long-term goals.
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    tjb122982 wrote: »
    I had a interview for a job today over the phone. When they had contacted me, I asked if we could it over the phone because the job is 3 hours one way from my area. I'm working part time and I only make $8 an hour, so money is a little tight. I was told that this is the first round and if I make the second round, I have to come down there or I'm out of the running. With that being said, am I being unreasonable asking for a phone interview over in person considering that gas is about $3.80 a gallon right now?

I think you should not ask for phone interview if the travel is less than 500 miles. Usually, the employers do the phone screen first. The second round would be face-to-face; therefore, I want to see your personality. It is hard to hire someone from the phone. Sometimes, they are willing to do the skype or any other type of video conference. You should request for skype instead phone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Or after work, they usually can accommodate especially if your working already
  • Options
    I think you should not ask for phone interview if the travel is less than 500 miles. Usually, the employers do the phone screen first. The second round would be face-to-face; therefore, I want to see your personality. It is hard to hire someone from the phone. Sometimes, they are willing to do the skype or any other type of video conference. You should request for skype instead phone.

It's 190 miles, I just checked. I want to point out that I asked nicely and didn't demand a phone interview. If I do move on, I will ask for a Skype interview first and go there if they say no. And at this point, I don't think I'm going to get it because I'm not a local applicant. I don't think it is one of situations where they already know who they want but I think I might have the stigma of not being local meaning I'm not going to stick around.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If they offered you a job, would you be moving closer? If so, drive to the interview. If not, don't worry about it and keep looking for other employment opportunities.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    If they offered you a job, would you be moving closer? If so, drive to the interview. If not, don't worry about it and keep looking for other employment opportunities.

Do you mean to check out the area?
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The job is 3 hours away. That's impractical. If you were to get hired by them, would you be willing to relocate in order to live closer to the job? i.e. pack your stuff up and move into a new home
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would ask for a phone interview...i would suggest an interview over Skype/WebEx/GotoMeeting/etc...

190 miles is a far way to go for an interview. Having said all that, are you looking to move to where the job is located?
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I would ask for a phone screen/interview for the first interview. I'd talk to the employer and try to work something out where you would only have to come in person for an interview once, and that one time would need to be late in the whole process. Most places are reasonable and will work with you. I lived two hours away from my current job and the interview was a phone screen first, and then one in person interview, which is very reasonable.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You will always have to go for a face to face interview eventually. I doubt any company would offer you a job based on phone / skype conversations alone, simply because remotely it is a lot harder to "get you" - to see if you are suitable - how you react to tough questions etc. Here in the UK you sometimes have to go in just for HR interviews etc. - they won't do any of the phone / skype stuff either ..

If you cannot really afford to drive up there, I wonder how you can afford to either commute or relocate - worries a company would have as well...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should know what kind of pull you have. Are you interviewing for an entry level job that can be filled by a dozen local candidates just waiting to get in the door if you hesitate? Then you might want to take the trip. Or is this an interview for a seasoned, experienced professional and they are going to try and recruit you hard? If so you probably have more say so in how the proceedings will go down. Be smart about it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The type of position has a lot to do with it.

If this is your dream job and the once in a lifetime opportunity that just presented itself then you better find a way to go interview.
    If it's a 50 cent raise and 3 hour daily commute then sure tell them your only willing to skype.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hope you would consider moving, because that would be a crazy commute. I've have 5 hour commutes before (2 1/2 hours each way) and after a few months of that, you will be begging for mercy and every motel starts to look very appealing.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    It sounds like you are wasting not only their time but your own with this. Why even take an interview with a company 190 miles away if you have no plans of relocating should you get the position? I dare say you wouldn't have got it anyway due to this very reason alone.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Personally, if the commute is more than an hour each way, I'll pass. For every job, I've always lived close to where I work, no more than 20 to 40 mins away. That saves on gas, lunch (go home and eat/xbox), and overall sanity, because I don't have to deal with crazy traffic and I get to sleep in later :)
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Honestly I would say yes it's unreasonable to ask for a phone interview for your second interview with them.

If you're going to be going there every day for work, why would it be unreasonable for them to expect you to come in once ahead of time? If the job means that little to you, why should they hire you?

Sometimes people are different or offputting in person. In-person interviews are the standard for most all companies.