Options

Phone screen tomorrow! Sr Network Engineer.

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Yup - decided to jump ship with how rocky my current position is with my company. I've been looking for a network position, and something came up. It's a Sr. Network Engineer position at a very prominent company in my area. I have a phone screen with two of their engineers later this week, I have confidence that the phone screen will go well. Though, for all you Network Engineers and Sr Network Engineers out there, what would you ask a potential candidate with your company?

Here's the job description:

• Oversee design and deployment of company LANs, WANs, and wireless networks (including routers, hubs, switches, and other hardware).
  • Highly proficient with Cisco network technologies
  • Proficient with Load Balancing, DNS, and Network Security Technologies.
  • Collaborate with management and department leaders to assess near and long-term network capacity needs.
  • Responsible for the planning of large scale systems projects by conducting research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry.
  • Practice network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
  • Ensure network connectivity by developing network usage and administration policies for all servers, workstations, telephony equipment, fax machines, and other network appliances.
  • Monitor and test network performance and provide network performance statistics and reports.
  • Create network procedures for use in diagnosing hardware and software problems and replace defective components.
  • Recommend implementation of new and existing equipment, hardware and software upgrades.
  • Document and establish network security measures to protect data, software and hardware.
  • Develop, implement and maintain required documentation for network configuration, network mapping and service records.
  • Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services.
  • Provide work leadership and training to lower level network engineers.
  • Lead project team composed of multi-disciplined personnel.
  • Excellent written and verbal English communications skills.
  • Able to effectively manage time and prioritize projects in order to meet established deadlines.
  • Strong, hands-on technical knowledge of network and PC operating systems.
  • Able to work and communicate effectively with all levels of co-workers, clients, and other external contacts.
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I would ask you about past experiences and also about things that my company uses so I know what previous skills you have using some of it.

This could be anything from:
    Have you ever used InfoBlox?
    Have you ever worked in an environment with a MPLS BGP Network from a CE side?
    What network security devices have you used before?
    What monitoring software have you used in the past? Have you ever used Solarwinds?

Then onto personality based ones like:
    Can you give me an example where you have greatly messed up and how did you fix it?
    How do you most effectively learn?

etc etc
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Good luck but applying for a Sr Network Engineer position might be a little hard for a first position in networking.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Technically this isn't my first position in the networking field. I have been heavily involved with networking for many years. I just haven't taken the Cisco tests to prove my knowledge since I thought my job was secure and there was no point in taking the test when they company wouldn't pay for it, or if I just let the cert expire. I know this may be a far stretch to apply for the position, but a phone interview shows that my resume (updated since I posted it on here) shows some good experience. I'm hoping that it all goes well.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    I would be more technically prepared. If it's the first phone screen they'll most likely throw some CCNA level questions just to make sure your know what you say you know.
  • Options
    So, how'd it go?
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    If you end up getting this position than this is just another company that calls anything "Sr." and honestly and I have done this before where I tell them "Look, I am not a Sr. level Engineer" before going through a hiring process. There are few true "Sr." level anything anymore and I personally hold that title in a far higher regard than most.

You should at the very least have one CCIE to be a "Sr" Engineer IMO and if not an IE then a ton of experience that proves you are at the IE level (10-15yrs).
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    I'll agree. Any Sr. Engineer I've interacted with thus far has been an IE, attempted IE several times, or have had 10+ years of experience. That's not to say that someone with less years of experience cannot get the job done.

You have to ask yourself, do you want be the rule or the exception?