Options

IT internship advice

pizzafordinnapizzafordinna Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently working for a smallish company (around 30 people) as their IT intern. I mostly am there for support in case stuff breaks. I am well liked around the company.

My issue is with one of the assistants. She is currently very busy (or at least she complains that she is). I've had several complaints from her that I really cannot quantify. When I ask her what problems her computer is having, it all comes out in a stressed rush of 10 different things that seems to be issues. Every time I go to try and troubleshoot, I cannot find a single problem. I don't know what to do except maybe run ccleaner and a virus scan if I cannot find any problems.

How would you deal with this situation? I'm not here to be her therapist, and it seems like her issues are more stress related than technology problems.

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Document it!
    Have her demonstrate the problem she is encountering.
    Request written communication.

Very often you just need to talk them through the moment and go on with you day. Don't let it stress you out you will never eliminate operator error.
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    I use the OSI model (sort of) for day to day troubleshooting my Level II/III job. Start at layer 1 (physical layer) and work my way up to the Application layer (Layer 7). Ask lots of questions but don't be condescending. I've found by letting the user know that I am truly interested i helping seems to put them at ease and lower there guard.

Offer to stay late one day or come in early so you will have access to pc and not be rushed...
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use the OSI model (sort of) for day to day troubleshooting my Level II/III job. Start at layer 1 (physical layer) and work my way up to the Application layer (Layer 7). Ask lots of questions but don't be condescending. I've found by letting the user know that I am truly interested i helping seems to put them at ease and lower there guard.

Offer to stay late one day or come in early so you will have access to pc and not be rushed...
    You forgot the 8th layer... the User Layer - sometimes referred to as an ID10T error
  • Options
    jobes23jobes23 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You forgot the 8th layer... the User Layer - sometimes referred to as an ID10T error

Meeseeks you took the words right out of my mouth. When I was a intern I learned that layer very well.
    Course Taking: Start 9/1
    Courses Done: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, C172, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Left: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, TJC1, TJP1, C175, C170, TYP1, TYC1, CJC1, C191, C178, C176, CLC1, C179, EDV1, BNC1, C195, UBC1, C278, EAV1, EBV1
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    You mean it's sometimes the users fault? LOL
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    PupilPupil Member Posts: 168

haha. Some days I don't even go past this layer.
  • Options
    Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pupil wrote: »
    haha. Some days I don't even go past this layer.
  • Options
    ewright27ewright27 Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□

I found the problem; its a loose nut on the keyboard...or a short between the keyboard and the chair...:D
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had a woman trying to ctrl-alt-del with the left ctrl. I found the problem after a few times (it was working when I used the right ctrl, she was annoyed that it never worked for her). Eventually I find the left ctrl was broken. I told her the right ctrl does the same function, shown her, she does it, we have a laugh because its awkward for her etc.

2 hours later she emails my manager saying im not resolving the issue for her. She starting using the left ctrl again! Replaced keyboard, problem solved, manager is out for a week so no problem.

I had a very irate professor on the phone but this place is so big chances I will never **** into him.

My advice is to get her to replicate it, and never believe what a user tells you. For some, turning on the monitor is turning on the PC, so when you ask them the question, its harder to not make them look silly (which is important!).
  • Options
    PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Document it! is what I say too. There is a tool (I know it comes on 7 and later) called the problem steps recorder. It is pretty good. Gives you window names, sometimes process names and item names, screenshots. It helps alot. Here is how you can put a shortcut to it on her desktop. or you can have her go to start menu and type psr (file is psr.exe)
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Document it! is what I say too. There is a tool (I know it comes on 7 and later) called the problem steps recorder. It is pretty good. Gives you window names, sometimes process names and item names, screenshots. It helps alot. Here is how you can put a shortcut to it on her desktop. or you can have her go to start menu and type psr (file is psr.exe)

Nice tool I'm gonna play with this for sure.