Options

I NEED HELP ASAP!!! Moving and my job title may be a demotion!

BruthaJBruthaJ Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
First off I am a young 26 year old who has about 5-7 years of tech experience and just last year I got a field tech job with nasa making very decent money. I recently got married and my wife and I plan to move so that she can have better opportunity in her nursing field (the area I currently live in is mainly a tech area).

we are moving because of better school opportunity and so we both can be in a market where we can grow into our careers.

my problem comes in with the area we are moving to.....it's a good tech area and I have actually found the same amount of pay I'm getting now but the positions are help desk positions tier 2 which is a demotion for me. I have never worked help desk before and I've only worked the tier 3 position for one year and a couple of months. if you were to see my resume I assume many of you would question how I skipped tier 1 & 2 and got a tier 3 position but I can honestly say it was just a blessing from God.

i read all these horror stories of staying years and years on the help desk and I fear it's going to happen to me once I accept this new job which again is a demotion but with the same pay.

what do I need to do to go up in the IT field?...is it bad that I'm going to a tier 2 job after being on a tier 3 job for a year and some months even if the pay is the same?

(sorry for the bad grammar)

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the tier is only relative to that company and it's more your actual duties. If you've done actual t3 work, then maybe look for a sysadmin position or something higher than helpdesk?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've seen people on the desk for 10+ years. That is a horror story.

You gotta do what you gotta do. If you are moving and you are looking for a job it's very possible that you will be stuck with a lower level job for a little while. Keep applying and you should be able to get out especially if you are in the tech area.

Best of luck