Potential job dilemma

cloud802cloud802 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a potential job offer with a small business that I had a phone interview with last week. It's a systems position with exposure to different technologies but mainly Microsoft servers. It's a 9 hour a day with an hour lunch and with a pay range that is about 10K higher than what I make currently.

Now here's the unique situation, I interviewed for a help desk position around a year ago for this same company and I didn't like the head of the department, he came across as a jerk and even my would be direct supervisor admitted that he was a jerk. I also didn't like the location as my commute would be significantly longer due to the traffic with around the hour to an hour and half range of driving. Another issue is I would be working without health insurance for 6 months until I become a permanent employee.

I like the potential to get exposure and the pay increase, but I'm not sure if the job is worth it..based on what I described what do you think?

Comments

• thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would tell you one thing. If you are not going to get along with the manager then I would not do it.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The commute alone would rule it out for me....

Not liking your bosses boss isn't the best situation to go into, but it probably wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Management changes. I'd be more concerned with my direct supervisor and the culture of the company honestly.

The six months wait for benefits blows too and could be a deciding factor if you have ongoing healthcare needs etc.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • cloud802cloud802 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes the commute is not good, I'm not sure if your familiar with the DC area but depending on what part of the beltway you work..you could spend an hour or more in stop and go traffic. I'm not sure yet if the head manager is still with the organization, but overall I remember not wanting to work with them because of the way he ran the place. No benefits for 6 months seems bad for me even though I'm healthy.

I thinking about going out and seeing if the management is still the same though.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes very familiar with the traffic up there unfortunately.

I'd check it out at least. Nothing to lose.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.