Options

From Service Desk to Management?

The Silent AssassinThe Silent Assassin Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok, little history about me before I get started about the interview. Four years of service desk exp, 3.5 certs, working on CCNA Sec. I was contacted by the typical recruiter saying they read my resume on Monster(outdated resume at that) and they were impressed with it. Typical questions like what are you doing now and why are you looking to leave current employer, etc. They set up a last second Skype call yesterday afternoon. And by last second I mean they called at 10am asking if I would be able to do the call around 2:30 that afternoon. Went through with that and let me know today that I would be interviewing on this coming Monday.

Now I come from a healthcare IT call center environment and the job is for a IT Support Lead, a managerial role in manufacturing and I must admit I don't know how to be a manager. I have slaved on the service desk for 4+ years so it is WAY past time to get out of that role. I have interviewed for several technician jobs but not a management job where I would be responsible for budgeting, forecasting, implementation, etc.

Part of me welcomes the challenge because it is something I haven't tried before so it is new and refreshing. The other part of me is scared that I might look like a fool. Doesn't help that I am being interviewed by the company CIO.