Just a direction thought

ITrascalITrascal Posts: 48Member ■■■□□□□□□□
Been studying for the Linux + cert. Basically forcing myself to eat, sleep and breath linux. Thought came to my mind today when i was listening to a podcast today. Now the Redhat certs i've heard about are no joke in obtaining them. Neither is the Linux + in my opinion. Now my question is since the Linux + is neutral vendor wise and Redhat(entry level) is vendor specific. Wouldn't it make better sense or be more easily obtainable for the Redhat cert first since it centralizes on a vendor. Or am I looking at it the wrong way? hmm

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy SABSA, GCFA, GPEN, CISM, RHCE, Security+, Server+, eJPT, CCNA Posts: 3,986Mod Mod
    No, the reason why Red Hat certs hold more value is because the exams are lab based. Linux+, while the material is good, the exams - unfortunately - prove that you are a good test taker, while Red Hat exams proves that you have practical knowledge in the topics.
    Goal: MBA, March 2020
  • sasnimrodsasnimrod Posts: 99Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    To continue with what UnixGuy was saying, generally it is recommended that you take the Linux+/LPIC-1 exam prior to going for Red Hat based certifications. Generally speaking Red Hat certs are more demanding and thus the material that you study for your Linux+ exam will serve as a good foundation prior to studying and eventually taking Red Hat exams.
  • PupilPupil Posts: 168Member
    RHCSA covers LVM and SELinux which Linux+ doesn't, thus making it already more difficult. Plus the fact that it is a timed lab exam.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Posts: 1,305Member ■■■■■■■□□□
    I wouldn't say that the RHCSA is entry level. It was a tough exam. They hold more value because you can't **** on the RHEL exams, as they are all performance based.
  • brombulecbrombulec Posts: 186Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that the RHCSA is entry level. It was a tough exam. They hold more value because you can't **** on the RHEL exams, as they are all performance based.

RHCSA is tough? Try EX442 or EX413 :)
    But, indeed, without an experience and some time on virtual machine or real gear it could be tough.