Advice to burn my tuition reimbursement?

tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
So this will probably rub some people who oppose amassing certifications the wrong way, but I have roughly $600 remaining on my tuition reimbursement and I intend to use every bit of it. I have until Sept. 14th to run through it. I have been studying for the CISSP but I don't want to rush through my studying. I also need to upgrade my MCSA to 2012 but, with my .edu pricing, that would only be a very small piece of the pie. The money breaks down as follows...

Yearly tuition reimbursement allotment: $1500
What I have spent thus far: $942
CASP $390
ITIL $170
Server+ $130
VCP $252

Remaining: $558
Possible options ...
Exin MOF Microsoft Operations Framework $180
Prince2-F $255
ISO/IEC 20000 $180
Project+ $269

I am leaning more towards frameworks and low level project management certification because I don't feel I have the time to lab through a technical certification. The ITIL only demanded a week or two of study time and is one of those certification that is more of a checkbox. The first domain in the Shon Harris AIO covered processes and frameworks and I thought the MOF and ISO/IEC 20000 might lend to my CISSP studies. Also, I would like to diversify my skillset to accommodate some business related functions in future job roles. Anything to get an edge on the competition really.

Can anyone recommend any other certifications that may fit this criteria? Any concerns/criticism on my thought process?
Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
WGU MSISA
Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2

Comments

• broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would focus on certifications that would help you in your current role or a job you'd like to obtain in the near future. Sounds like you're just collecting paper which is useless if there is no experience to back it up.

Just my 2 cents...
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah whatever certifications that applies to your current work effort is my opinion as well.
  • abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it's a great use of your money.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    broli720 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're just collecting paper.
    I think the same accusation could be made against anyone who has obtained the ITIL-Foundation certification, yet, it still has value evident by its proliferation on job boards. Just because it doesn't have your job title in the certification name, doesn't mean it isn't applicable. Take into account these are 'use it or lose it' funds and I really don't understand the criticism.
    broli720 wrote: »
    ...useless if there is no experience to back it up.
    Experience to back up an ISO/IEC 20000 or entry level PM cert? Do you hear yourself? I work in IT and I have been involved in high level projects. Sufficient?
    N2IT wrote: »
    Yeah whatever certifications that applies to your current work effort is my opinion as well.
    We are all performing projects one way or another and ISO/IEC 20000 applies to literally everyone in IT.

My current role is SCCM/SCOM administrator. There is exactly one certification for SCCM (already planned) and none (kind of if you count private cloud but not really) specific to SCOM. If I took your advice, my credentials would be a single line long. My end goal is DevOps, which is simply a glorified JOAT. In order to get there I need to get my hands on everything I can. For right now, my primary concern is not letting this money go to waste. If that makes me a paper chaser, so be it. I've been called worse.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2