Options

Applying for internal position, do I negotiate?

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I have been at my current company for 5 months. The position I have right now is mostly end-user support for a remote helpdesk (MSP), however the next position up deals with Exchange, more AD, Group Policy, etc. Also, it deals with hundreds of different clients rather than just the two companies I work for.

I was encouraged to apply by management and it seems like a really good opportunity. My question is do I treat this like any other job interview and negotiate salary? I've never been in this position before as I got my first official IT job (and I use that term loosely here) about 9 months ago.

When I was hired the recruiter I spoke with said he hired someone at that position for 55k. When I spoke with one of the guys that got recently hired at that position he said it was $30 an hour. I'm not sure if either one is correct, so I'm not sure if I just kind of roll with whatever they give me. Seeing as how I make 16.25 now and I'd think it would be at least $25, it'll be a nice increase. I'm also not going to turn down the position no matter what because it gives me more experience and I get to move up the company. I'll obviously ask how much I'm getting paid, I'm just not sure if I should do much else.

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Always, always negotiate. Start high (at a reasonable high) because it's easier to work down than up. Prepare to back up (with multiple reasons) why you feel justified asking for 'x' amount...when it comes to money discussions, you need ammo.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Always, always negotiate. Start high (at a reasonable high) because it's easier to work down than up. Prepare to back up (with multiple reasons) why you feel justified asking for 'x' amount...when it comes to money discussions, you need ammo.

by ammo, what do you mean? - I'm intrigued, negotiating increases has never been a strong point of mine.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ammo, meaning reasons why you should be paid more, something like average salaries for your skills or role in your area, amount of money you've saved or made for the business, etc. If you can prove you're being underpaid it should be easier to negotiate vs just saying you want more money because you want to buy a nicer car.
  • Options
    Well as far as "ammo" I'd say: Never missed a day of work, never been late, I help train people on my position, and I'm an expert with end-user support (which is the majority of the calls), good time management.

I tried finding comparable salaries in Denver for what I do but I couldn't find much. I saw one that was close and it was 50k a year on Glass Door.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    markulous wrote: »
    Well as far as "ammo" I'd say: Never missed a day of work, never been late, I help train people on my position, and I'm an expert with end-user support (which is the majority of the calls), good time management.

I tried finding comparable salaries in Denver for what I do but I couldn't find much. I saw one that was close and it was 50k a year on Glass Door.

Most of what you listed isn't very strong ammunition for negotiation. Being on time and not calling in is expected of everyone. Expert with end-user support is vague, but the best thing you listed.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    krjay wrote: »
    Most of what you listed isn't very strong ammunition for negotiation. Being on time and not calling in is expected of everyone. Expert with end-user support is vague, but the best thing you listed.

Ok so go more into the technical side of things you are saying?
  • Options
    AnthonyGAnthonyG Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What will be expected of you in the new position should guarantee a raise. You'll be handling more important work for a lot more companies that are actual clients aka they bring in the $$$$$$$! listen to lsud00d
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    The training thing to me is a pretty strong one too, but I'd try to put a price tag on it in terms of efficiency and time saved. I used to write tons of articles for my companies knowledge base, saving thousands of tickets from being escalated to different teams throughout the company, saving hundreds of not thousands of hours of employees time and the companies money to be put back into the resource pool for better uses.

The work ethic should speak for itself cause there isn't a whole lot of that in most companies anymore, but emphasizing how your actions helps the company consistently will earn you that extra percentage on the raise if you sell it properly.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Briefcase method. Your on the inside and know what the challenges that position would face better than anyone.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    markulous wrote: »
    Ok so go more into the technical side of things you are saying?

You don't have to go super technical, but you want to highlight what you have accomplished that goes beyond what would typically be expected of you, and what skills/abilities you have that go beyond what is expected of someone in your position.

If you are taking on additional responsibilities that weren't originally part of your job description, bring that up. If you have improved your technical knowledge significantly in a way that helps the business make money/cut costs, bring that up. If you have consistently outperformed expectations for the position, bring that up (hopefully your organization has some way to measure that).

Complying with basic company policies like being on time is not something to boast about.
  • Options
    This gives me some really good ideas. I think I know what to aim for and how to sell myself a little better. I've gotten certs every other month since I've been here, whereas no one else at my position as gotten one since being hired. I'm going to bring up the training thing as well as how I coordinate everything with the clients and back to our help desk, something that is not in my job requirement at all.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Heero wrote: »
    You don't have to go super technical, but you want to highlight what you have accomplished that goes beyond what would typically be expected of you, and what skills/abilities you have that go beyond what is expected of someone in your position.

If you are taking on additional responsibilities that weren't originally part of your job description, bring that up. If you have improved your technical knowledge significantly in a way that helps the business make money/cut costs, bring that up. If you have consistently outperformed expectations for the position, bring that up (hopefully your organization has some way to measure that).

Complying with basic company policies like being on time is not something to boast about.

^^^
    This guy nailed it!!

You have to sell yourself based on how you as an individual create value in the company. If you are having difficulties coming up with some ideas talk to your management about it. If they recommended that you apply for an elevated level position ask them why or what they see in you that makes you a good fit for this new position?

Here is an example of my current situation as I am also about to negotiate pay with my company for a next level position.

How I stand out from my peers: (feel free to take example of these points as some ofthem closely relate to your situation)

* I am the sole primary training resource for all new hires incoming to the departmentand serve as a mentor for those new people to help them become quickly acclimatedand and comfortable with their new job roles. ((provide specifics of what items are trained, etc.) also save the department money by not dedicating additional resources to creating a sanctioned training program)) (Although I believe in sanctioned training programs, however many places do not have this, oddly enough)

* I am a dedicated resource assigned to a specialized team within my organization that is responsible for resolving complex technical problems not normally within the scope of my department. (Saves money from higher level technical teams owning those issues)

* I also serve the role as a department "SME Like" function providing the highest level technical support within my job scope, most times outside the job scope, and serving as a mentor forthe entire department, even advising the management as a dedicated technical resource. (For this I work my own dedicated schedule to make myself more available to my mgmt. and my team) ( again saves money from making pre-mature escalations to a higher level team)

* I work on department focused projects that is completely outside the normal jobresponsibilities focusing on optimizing operational efficiencies. (Examples ofprevious projects can be given here) (saves money by optimizing team workflowmaking best use of the headcount available)
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Well, I had my interview today and I will know tomorrow morning whether I got it or not. I struggled with some things but nailed other questions.

While I agree I am a little raw when it comes to networking issues, I'm also a very fast learner and my boss/interviewer agreed that I would learn fast and excel.

I'm honestly not sure what to do if I don't get this. I don't feel that there is much more I can learn at my current position and I do not feel challenged at all.