Options

Is it Worth It?

UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have officially accepted a posistion at the pentagon as a help desk agent, and I have a start date of 7/21/14! It'll be more or less the same as what I'm doing now.

I am currently looking for somewhere to live. Most likely a 1BR appartment.

Anyone have any tips for first time leaving the nest?

Comments

• Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The cost of living in really high. You could always live in a cheaper place in say Maryland and commute. But the Pentagon and that area in general are crowded. It could be a good opportunity to network though. Tough call.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is there room to move up at your current job? How fast do you think you can move up in this new one? Can you afford to live somewhat comfortably losing $500 a month? Can you do what jvr suggested and just commute from a cheaper area?

Kind of depends.
  • Options
    There is absolutely no chance of moving up at my current job. A big chunk of that losing $503 dollars a month is basing on the fact if I can find somewhere to rent for $500 a month. Which is already fairly cheap. I'd have to go fairly far to get anything much cheaper.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I'd imagine working at the Pentagon and having that on your resume would open a ton of doors down the road.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ukimokia wrote: »
    There is absolutely no chance of moving up at my current job. A big chunk of that losing $503 dollars a month is basing on the fact if I can find somewhere to rent for $500 a month. Which is already fairly cheap. I'd have to go fairly far to get anything much cheaper.

I'd probably try to do it then if I could afford it. You have to make some sacrifices to move up and it sounds like this will be a huge boon to your career.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□

You may not just be paying rent. You still need to eat and find reliable transportation to work as well. If the cost of living is high in that area then I'd imagine you'd need to rent a room with a roommate to get rent down to $500/month. If you think you're ready to get out on your own anyway then I think it's worth taking the higher paying job just so long as you budget properly. You'll be making more before too long if you keep making the right moves and eventually be able to afford your own place.
  • Options
    W Stewart wrote: »
    You may not just be paying rent. You still need to eat and find reliable transportation to work as well. If the cost of living is high in that area then I'd imagine you'd need to rent a room with a roommate to get rent down to $500/month. If you think you're ready to get out on your own anyway then I think it's worth taking the higher paying job just so long as you budget properly. You'll be making more before too long if you keep making the right moves and eventually be able to afford your own place.

I know I'm not paying just rent. That's part of the total amount that brings me below what I'm currently making even though I'm going to be making more in DC. Food, rent, entertainment, other house bills, and plenty of other things add to my overall cost of moving to around D.C.

I'm just being very hesitent and careful with my first time moving out into the world.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If my first opportunity to move out on my own was working at the Pentagon I would do it, especially since you said you had no upward mobility with your current job. I know being at the helpdesk at the Pentagon isn't a guarantee of upward advancement at least the keyword on your resume might get you noticed more.
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    I just moved away from Northern Virginia to Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas. The cost of living this the Washington D.C metropolitan area is extremely high due to federal jobs. With $18.50 per hour, you properly hard to live on your own; but highly recommend search for roommates on Craigslist. Therefore, it helps to bring down the costs. If you work at the Pentagon, I assume your company is sponsored for at least Secret Clearance. In this area, Clearance is important because most of the jobs require it. I would recommend if you know what you are getting into for example, find cheap place to live. Washington D.C metropolitan area traffic is horrible. I used to work at Fort Belvoir, and only 12 miles away from my house. It took me about an hour and 12 minutes to get home.

With Secret Clearance will provide you with better opportunities.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    I just moved away from Northern Virginia to Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas. The cost of living this the Washington D.C metropolitan area is extremely high due to federal jobs. With $18.50 per hour, you properly hard to live on your own; but highly recommend search for roommates on Craigslist. Therefore, it helps to bring down the costs. If you work at the Pentagon, I assume your company is sponsored for at least Secret Clearance. In this area, Clearance is important because most of the jobs require it. I would recommend if you know what you are getting into for example, find cheap place to live. Washington D.C metropolitan area traffic is horrible. I used to work at Fort Belvoir, and only 12 miles away from my house. It took me about an hour and 12 minutes to get home.

With Secret Clearance will provide you with better opportunities.

I do already have my clearance. I'm hoping that with that and my certs and a little bit of experience. I'll be able to find a better job fairly quickly after moving up.
  • Options
    richnewmanrichnewman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd take the hit (if there is one) just for a security clearance. I made around $18 work when I first moved to DC.. it can be an investment. The area is expensive but it'll pay off.

Now I live and work in Pentagon/Crystal City which is immediately south of the Pentagon. I also have a roommate who works at the Pentagon, who rides a bicycle there. If you're on the fence about a vehicle, you could ditch the vehicle, pay more in rent nearby and walk to work/stores. You'll have to walk pretty far from the Pentagon parking lot anyway, so might as well walk from your apartment. For apartments, people section off their living rooms and rent those out, so that might be an option to get the price down. Probably won't really find anything for $500 walking distance though.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Probably no way to get around making less money when you have to actually start supporting yourself with rent etc. This seems like a pretty good opportunity to me. Get ready for a roommate!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cloudyknightcloudyknight Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a good experience to move to. I would also think that the level of users in the pentagon is higher than where you are now, thus giving you higher quality problems to solve. I hope so anyway that the pentagon staff wouldn't need their passwords reset often.
  • Options
    I don't have a solid start date yet, but I should be starting sometime late July early August. I'll update this thread when I've moved in and been there for a week to let y'all know for sure!
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    Even though you already have clearance, it worths it. According to CNN salary comparison.

Your current location Virginia Beach, VA:
    ($12 x 40/week x 52 weeks/year) = $24,960.00

Th new position location Northern Virginia:
    ($18.50 x 40/week x 52 weeks/year) = ~ $38,480.00

CCNN Money recommends to you make $34,926.00 in Northern Virginia area in order to live as the same you current living. However, since you live with your parents...therefore, find roommates in NOVA reduces the housing costs. I would recommend Springfield near Springfield Mall, the housing there is not expensive. The question is do you have to pay your own parking space at The Pentagon? Usually Parking in Washington D.C for work about $300.00 to $500.00 per month.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So my input has very little to do with the job. Sounds like a great opportunity I would jump on it.

However my real suggestion is to calculate your cost of living in your current location. Assume you are going to move out of your parents home someday. Use that figure to compare to the opportunities in other areas.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if you can handle living with strangers it could work. Me on the other hand I like my privacy. You may want to think about living near a transit line to save on parking.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    Even though you already have clearance, it worths it. According to CNN salary comparison.

Your current location Virginia Beach, VA:
    ($12 x 40/week x 52 weeks/year) = $24,960.00

Th new position location Northern Virginia:
    ($18.50 x 40/week x 52 weeks/year) = ~ $38,480.00

CCNN Money recommends to you make $34,926.00 in Northern Virginia area in order to live as the same you current living. However, since you live with your parents...therefore, find roommates in NOVA reduces the housing costs. I would recommend Springfield near Springfield Mall, the housing there is not expensive. The question is do you have to pay your own parking space at The Pentagon? Usually Parking in Washington D.C for work about $300.00 to $500.00 per month.

Thank you!

Also, I most likely will just use the metro. I'm trying to get as close as I can to the pentagon or at least a metro stop so I wont have to park at the pentagon. I have cats, and so a lot of people looking for roomates wont allow cats. I'd also like to try to get a 1BR apparentment to myself if possible. Seen some for around $700 a month which isn't terrible. I'll weigh my options and once I have a solid start date start contacting people for serious inquries on renting.
  • Options
    SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    Having the Pentagon listed in your resume is definitely a big plus. Have you gone through all the interviews and background checks already? Did they give you an offer letter? If that is the case then jump on it.
  • Options
    Got my starting date last night of the 21st. Originally they wanted me to start the 14th, but I told them I couldn't do that, because that'd be less than a two week notice.

Now to find somewhere to live.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on getting a new job, and best of luck to you in setting out on your own.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job! Keep us updated on how you like the area and making it on your own.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here are some tips on leaving the nest for the first time:

1) Start off small and slowly. No need to go out and get a bunch of new furniture on a store credit line right away. Get some cheap, temporary furniture (wal-mart, target have a good selection) to hold you over while you get on your feet.

2) Do your research on the places you are considering. Look into the area as well and don't make assumptions only based upon your tour. Take apartment reviews with a grain of salt...most of them are the exception and are just outlets for people to vent.

3) Learn to cook if you haven't already and get comfortable with shopping for groceries. Eating out everyday costs a lot and is really unhealthy. I never bothered to do so and ended up eating Subway for about 6 months straight when my wife moved back overseas 0_0

4) Get a good plan together for paying bills on time. I'd recommend auto-payments, however, be sure to check your statement anyways!

5) If you're moving to a new area, try to make an effort to meet some positive people and enjoy their company. When my wife was living overseas, I spent about 18 months alone because I was bitter and displeased with work. This was not healthy and feels like a wasted period of my life.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the job. Yes it's daunting to be out on your own, but as others have said the job your taking should open doors down the road.

Prior to applying for the position did you give this question any thought? That would've been the time to think it through and see if you could make it work.

Have you talked to your family members (uncles, aunts, cousins, etc) and friends to see if they know someone who could help you out.

Maybe you could check on the federal job boards (federalsoup.com is one) and see if you can find a hookup with someone else who is just starting out there like you.

Most people just starting out own their own can't afford to live by themselves simply because entry level jobs just don't pay that well. So your not alone.

Good Luck.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    jvrlopez wrote: »

5) If you're moving to a new area, try to make an effort to meet some positive people and enjoy their company. When my wife was living overseas, I spent about 18 months alone because I was bitter and displeased with work. This was not healthy and feels like a wasted period of my life.

This is what i'm going through at the moment. My co-workers are twice my age and don't have anything in common icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    Here are some tips on leaving the nest for the first time:

1) Start off small and slowly. No need to go out and get a bunch of new furniture on a store credit line right away. Get some cheap, temporary furniture (wal-mart, target have a good selection) to hold you over while you get on your feet.

2) Do your research on the places you are considering. Look into the area as well and don't make assumptions only based upon your tour. Take apartment reviews with a grain of salt...most of them are the exception and are just outlets for people to vent.

3) Learn to cook if you haven't already and get comfortable with shopping for groceries. Eating out everyday costs a lot and is really unhealthy. I never bothered to do so and ended up eating Subway for about 6 months straight when my wife moved back overseas 0_0

4) Get a good plan together for paying bills on time. I'd recommend auto-payments, however, be sure to check your statement anyways!

1)Most of my furniture will be coming from where I live now so that's all good.
    2)Yeah, went on a tour and fell in love with the apartment itself but read some reviews which were bad and the area is kinda ehhhhh. So I'm reconsidering.
    3)The only thing I know how to cook that doesn't involve premade or a microwave is eggs and bacon :P
    4)I'll try auto payments on my apartment if they'll allow it. All my other bills are. Otherwise I might have to get a check book.
    5)I actually already know a fair amount of people in the area so that's no problem.
    roch_greg wrote: »
    Congrats on the job. Yes it's daunting to be out on your own, but as others have said the job your taking should open doors down the road.

Prior to applying for the position did you give this question any thought? That would've been the time to think it through and see if you could make it work.

Have you talked to your family members (uncles, aunts, cousins, etc) and friends to see if they know someone who could help you out.

Maybe you could check on the federal job boards (federalsoup.com is one) and see if you can find a hookup with someone else who is just starting out there like you.

Most people just starting out own their own can't afford to live by themselves simply because entry level jobs just don't pay that well. So your not alone.

Good Luck.

I did not apply for the job per se. It came through my recruiter who I was already working for. But yeah I've considered moving into the area for a while.
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    3)The only thing I know how to cook that doesn't involve premade or a microwave is eggs and bacon :P

I was in the same situation when i moved out on my own last summer. Definitely check YouTube and all the available cooking tutorials. I've learned how to cook all my favorite dishicon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    CIO wrote: »
    I was in the same situation when i moved out on my own last summer. Definitely check YouTube and all the available cooking tutorials. I've learned how to cook all my favorite dishicon_cheers.gif

My mother use to be a chef, and so she's going to make me a little cook book of simple things I can make to get me started and in the habit of making my own food. My biggest problem with cooking is I'm impatient and want food quick. I don't eat a lot of fast food. I just don't make it myself.
  • Options
    I've officially been here for just over two weeks, and so far still no credentials so they've had me look over all the SOPs. Though other than looking at SOPs (Which I've already gone through all of them), there hasn't been anything to do. Just studying and doing other things until they put me to work. Moving into a 1BR apartment soon.