Options

Recruiters vs Interviews - This needs to stop

The Silent AssassinThe Silent Assassin Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok, I have been to several interviews over the past years, some direct hires others at the advice of a recruiter. I am tired to say the least of being lied to by recruiters giving out wrong information. For example, interviewing for what you think is a desktop support job and what it actually is an SQL job.

I read the job requirements and talked to you Jane Doe recruiter, you said nothing about SQL or managing sessions. Why are you asking me what do I think about the position? Are you expecting me not to be pissed over the fact that you set me up for failure?

How many people have been blindsided when they got an interview only to get in and see that the details have been "lost in translation"?

Other than applying directly to the company, how can one combat this?

Comments

• Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    I have been through cases where the so-called "Technical Recruiter" (still trying to figure out the difference between a technical recruiter and a non-technical recruiter, lol) was the one that wrote the job description for the job rather than the client. Can you imagine what it looked like? It was basically a collection of buzzwords and acronyms for certs and after noticing it looked fishy I brought it up to the recruiter and that is how I figured out that they wrote it.

If it looks strange to you, do some more research and figure out why it looks weird, it might not be the type of job description you think it is.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's a technical recruiter for you!! icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    The Silent AssassinThe Silent Assassin Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vask3n wrote: »
    I have been through cases where the so-called "Technical Recruiter" (still trying to figure out the difference between a technical recruiter and a non-technical recruiter, lol) was the one that wrote the job description for the job rather than the client. Can you imagine what it looked like? It was basically a collection of buzzwords and acronyms for certs and after noticing it looked fishy I brought it up to the recruiter and that is how I figured out that they wrote it.

If it looks strange to you, do some more research and figure out why it looks weird, it might not be the type of job description you think it is.

That is how TekSystems produces their postings... "Active directory, Windows Server 2008, Networking"
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    That is how TekSystems produces their postings... "Active directory, Windows Server 2008, Networking"

Yeah, this one was Cybercoders and I just grew to dislike them because of how aggressive the recruiters are and the fact that they would even write their own description in the first place.

We are looking for:

CCIE R/S
    CCNP
    Juniper Experience
    MCSE a plus! (...wait, what? Do you actually know what an MCSE is or is it just another acronym for you?)

And no, the job was not a Windows Sysadmin job.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    I have the recruiter submitted my resume for the $xxx,xxxx.xx amount of money for direct hire position. When I had the interview, the interviewer asked me how much I am looking for annual salary. So, I said the little below the original amount that the recruiter submitted for me. Then I was told by the interviewer that they cannot afford what I am asking for. WTH? I also have recruiters did not give me any feedback after the interview. I tried to call them and want to know whether positive or negative results. Either I got busy signal, directly to voice mail, no answer, or answered but presented did not hear me.

I also have recruiter submitted me for the Network Security Engineer position, but during the interview the interviewer asked me all relates to Software Application Security. I think the recruiter tries to submit many profiles they can so they can at least get one for the position to make money. I don't know if each recruiting company is allowed to submit only one profile for one position or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The common thread from the recruiters that I worked with that were very good versus all the rest of them are:

1. Good ones talk to you multiple times to figure out where you are, where you want to be, work history, what's your willingness on travel, and what you are looking for compensation wise. All of this is done before they even send your resume over. (Bad ones just ask if you are on the market, and then say they have a position and they will submit you for it..)

2. They remain active, usually in the course of pursuing the position you will hear from them anywhere from 2-3x per day until the interview process has completed.

3. They will provide you information about the names of people you are interviewing with, their personality types, what other candidates made mistakes on in previous interviews, inform you of the website if there is one, direct you to interviewers Linked-IN and go over your resume and your skill-set to streamline your skills with the positions requirements.

4. They are in general very pleasant, ease to talk to, engaging, positive, and excited about your prospects of being placed (As you are their best bet, and they want to place you, its like their bade of honor... whereas others are just throwing pasta against the wall seeing what sticks.)

5. They worry about your comfort level, and always ask how you feel about information presented, updated news and etc...

If your recruiter isn't doing these things, then you are just dealing with the vast majority of the rest that just are submitting resumes by the 100's to fit quotas and don't really have a interest in seeing you placed.

It's funny but every major recruiter I've worked with that has placed me in a outstanding opportunity knew about my hobbies, college experience, why I got into IT, my contracting struggles, my son and wife, and What I ultimately wanted in my next position. They always invested extra time and energy into learning about me, so that they knew they were doing what's best for their client. That's how you can tell they serious.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im entry level here. I haven't had the best of luck with recruiters. The best experiences I have had so far are dealing directly with employers. Finding a good recruiter is like finding a good Realtor.:)
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, this one was Cybercoders and I just grew to dislike them because of how aggressive the recruiters are and the fact that they would even write their own description in the first place.

I've read to stay away from Cybercoders. They appear to be more of resume collectors. Just my .02
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    pramin wrote: »

I've read to stay away from Cybercoders. They appear to be more of resume collectors. Just my .02

I've seen numerous reports that Cybercoders are fraudulent.